*NO* A Short Hike & Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "While I Can"

Liontamer

Artist: Everybody Man

I loved playing A Short Hike, and Mark Sparling's music was PERFECT for that game. Somehow I started thinking of OOT's Title Theme while "See You At The Top" was playing, and it sounded so cool in my head that I had to arrange it. Title Theme's melody was simple and sparse enough for me to fit a lot of Short Hike inspired parts beneath it, and the (mostly) 7/8 time just seemed right to tie it all together. I loved the bit of distortion in the arpeggios from A Short Hike, and I definitely leaned into that in the mix :)

The name "While I Can" comes from a bit of dialogue at the end of A Short Hike, and I thought it fit well with OOT's time mechanics.

Hope you enjoy it!

Games & Sources:

This is a remix of the Title Theme from OOT, mashed up/orchestrated with "See You At The Top" from the game "A Short Hike."

Edited by Emunator

7/8 is a clever vehicle for a track based on arpeggios. the intiial arpeggios are nice and buzzy, and the subsequent lead and kick are also pretty lo-fi. i didn't care much at all for the kick's tone at all since it crushed everything against the limiter every time it hits, and the mix really sits hard in the 300-350hz range where there's some huge spikes so it's overly dense and hard to differentiate what's going on. i think i'd like the instrumentation and the distortion that's all over the place if i could hear the individual parts more.

there's a big shift at 0:50 where it goes to 6/8 and drops the percussion for a bit. again this section is turbo-slammed against the limiter so it's hard to hear what's going on. it goes back to 7/8 at 1:17 and noodles through the flute part - i like the playing with time you do in this section quite a bit. there's a triplet line over top that i really like too. after this, the track very suddenly ends, which was a real disappointment since the vibe was really solid. there's some silence to trim too.

overall this is really jammed against the limiter throughout, and like i said everything's sitting in a similar range which makes it hard to differentiate what's going on. some light panning would help there too but ultimately this needs work with volumizing and the kick needs to be sidechained to prevent it murdering everything else every time it hits. i believe backing off the distortion just slightly would help with the similar range issue too since it'd allow more fundamental tone to make it through.

i love the concept and i love the synth choices, it just needs some mastering love.

NO

• DarkeSword changed the title to 2024/01/04 - A Short Hike & Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "While I Can"
  • 2 weeks later...

I see exactly how you were inspired to make this. I could easily imagine the OoT theme interleaved within See You At the Top exactly the way you did it.

I came to the same conclusion as proph within the first 30 seconds. The Short Hike saw is loud and thick and overpowers the entire soundscape, and the kick causes the whole thing to pump.

As a secondary concern, this is quite short. Other than the obvious inspiration of interleaving the two sources together, it doesn't really do much. It feels more like a proof-of-concept than a full song. See You At the Top is a long, complex tune, and you only made use of the intro. That's not to say we have any rule against using only part of a source, but it's unusual to take a source that has this much to it and use it to make something simple and just over 2 minutes long. You have a lot more to draw on here to flesh your arrangement out, and I think you could make a more interesting, engaging remix if you did that.

But the important factor is the lack of clarity and balance. Take a look at that first and foremost.

NO

• 1 month later...

Have to co-sign with the judges above - the concept is all there, it's a really beautiful fusion of melodies, but the impact of the arrangement is overshadowed by poor mixing and mastering. There's no impact to be felt because everything is slammed against the limiter so hard - everything is cranked up to 11, and because your arrangement is actually densely layered with so many layers, nothing is really coming through.

While 2:20 is subjectively not too short for an arrangement, I do agree that this just fizzles out toward the end with no real climax or resolution. Especially since the original Ocarina of Time Title Theme basically hands you a perfect resolution on a silver platter, it's disappointing that this arrangement just stops mid-stream.

There's a TON of potential hear, I would love to hear this back with cleaner mixing and better macro-dynamics, as well as a proper resolution to the composition.

NO (resubmit!)

• Emunator changed the title to *NO* A Short Hike & Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "While I Can"
  • Emunator locked this topic