OCR04628 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 "Truthful Symphony"

Liontamer

Artist: NyxTheShield

This remix is heavily inspired by "T-Square - Truth" sound and "vibe", but without taking any elements directly from it. I always wanted to make a jazz fusion DKC cover and I felt this was the perfect opportunity to do so while paying homage to my inspirations. I hope you enjoy it!

Games & Sources

DKC2 - Stickerbush Symphony by David Wise

big drums right up front, with a big 80s sound to the band sound overall, driven by the bass and the bell synth. snare is really loud up front. there's a nice rhythm guitar underpinning it, and the lead has a good tone, love the vibrato. hits a break at 1:25 and has some synthax pick up the lead. later guitar comes in and that's well-played. harmonized melodic content at 2:05 was nice.

drums drop again at 2:16 and the track relies on the bass for a bit to keep it moving, then the fm keys. sax comes back when everything's back in for a solo opportunity. this would have been a nice time to mix up the bass line up a bit, but the energy's still there and it's a good solo. it also sets us nicely onto the outro which is well-handled.

this is a lay-up. there are a few elements of the mastering i'd have liked to hear modified - namely turning that snare down a touch - but overall this is a solid rendition of the classic original. i particularly liked the keys that you used in some of the quieter parts to keep it moving, and the solo trailoff into the outro. nice work.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reference tracks - I listened to T-Square - TRUTH, and can definitely hear the influence. So cool to hear Stickerbush done in this style, it's one of my favourite pieces of VGM, and you've done something new with it that sounds great.

Couple of things could be improved with the mixing - that snare is quite aggressive, particularly noticeable in the first minute or so of the track. Once you hear it, it's kinda distracting. The bell from 0:30 is also very faint and could stand to be brought up a little.

Love the introduction of the sax and lead guitar, they work wonders together. Perhaps an extra tribute to David Wise, who also plays the saxophone? Would be amazing to hear the sax played live...

Nice ritardando to finish. Really enjoyed this one, thanks!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

What an unusual take. The source material is definitely there from the get-go, but it's not obvious until 0:29, and even then the remix focuses on the supporting elements of the source and not the melody. It's a good exercise to the listener to not just focus on the melody.

The mixing is indeed a little odd. That snare is crazy loud, and the rest of the soundscape other than the sax is a little flat. The e-piano is meant to fill the high end, but it's pretty quiet when it's not isolated and doesn't have a lot of shimmer to it. The cymbals are pretty quiet, too: I can barely hear even the crashes, and I wasn't sure for a while whether there were hats at all. Meanwhile, the bass is mostly in the sub and doesn't have a lot of presence to it.

But the strengths are way up there. The sax and guitar arrangement and performances are stellar. The approach is unique and works great. I think the mixing is questionable enough that I wouldn't call this one a freebie, but I also don't have any qualms about giving it a

YES

The mixing is not the most polished I've heard, I definitely second the notion that the drums are walking all over the rest of the track and there's a substantial amount of mud elsewhere. The sax programming isn't the most realistic in the world. The intro is quite abrupt and startling.

But man, what a strong concept and a huge step up in terms of interpretation and arrangement compared to some of your earlier submissions that I remember hearing from years ago. You had a really clear vision and executed with a clear amount of passion and respect for the source material, both Donkey Kong and T-Square. All of the sounds in the band complement each other wonderfully and the arrangement is just chock full of creativity. I love this, I've never heard this source done this way before and I'm glad you chose to send this our way. Really great stuff!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04628 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 "Truthful Symphony"
  • Emunator locked this topic