Mario 64 - Dire, Dire Docks

The Joker

Long story shortefied, this is a very chill remix of Dire Dire Docks, which was partly inspired after listening to pixietricks "Dreaming Still", though, this track isn't LoFi like pixie's, it's more... whatever it is.

Also, big thanks to Escariot, without whom, this track wouldn't be online right now, as well as everybody who's given feedback so far!

WIP version 1

Sleeping Worlds wip 2!

Updates!

1. First off, I toned down those hihats. I think I got a velocity line now.
  2. Added an intro
  3. Played around with the mian melody on the EP.
  4. Added a fuller string section.
  5. Fixed the kick bass fx, varied up the drums a bit. Though, the samples are place holders, I'm gonna go for a more acoustic sound. Also, those Cymbal crashes are probably gonna get fixed/cut.
  6. The latter sections are really rough, & don;t have much of a transition yet.
  7. If you listen closely, there are little bits & pieces from other Mario 64 songs!
  8. About the intro... right now, it's a place holder. i'm still not sure how i'm starting this yet.

So, i think that's pretty much it. As always, comments/feedback, constructive criticism welcomed, encouraged, appreciated!

Hey joker I agree with what everyone said before, but I have an idea for the clashes/hats. Put some type of flange or LFO on them, but have the speed/rate very low and then automate the volume in accordance to the speed/rate of the flange and/or lfo. Also maybe throw some more verb on them to them to sit farther back in the soundscape. Give them a far away at a distance type of feel. IMO in styles like these subtle movements and a slowly changing soundscape are crucial.

Hi-hats aside, I love what you have so far. Nice and soothing. I would like to hear more of the original melody in there, but thats just me.

There are a few things you could tweak here and there as far as the EQing. And the 808 bass drum that comes in at 1:36 just doesn't sound too great to me. Its kinda buzzy.

I would also like to hear some better string and drum samples.

Other that those gripes I mentioned, everything is lovely. I can't wait until its finished.

i like the second one better i think. this mix is very peaceful yet, it has a fairly solid beat(with the help of the cymbals). its arrangement is good, but its not a song i would recomend to people who want "action style mixes" although it has kind of a beat, but not the "action" kind of beat( although i have no problem with peaceful mixes). there are a couple of minor bugs you could fix, even so it would definitely at least have a chance at being passed. mix had excellent quality. awesome mix! -The Lone Ranger