*NO* New Horizons 'Sunset on the Harbour' *FT*

zircon

Hey zircon,

I'm Kenley and siven7 on the OCR board and I submitted a remix at the end of January called "Sunset on the Harbour" from "Uncharted Waters: New Horizons"... moderately obscure, but a beautiful score. I didn't receive an instant rejection letter and I haven't seen it in the queue and I'm wondering if it could've been a "fall-through" - you judges have a ton of submissions to get through, it happens, nobody's fault :) I think that it's awesome that you can devote time to that and can still keep up a studio, new compositions and new arrangements too - my kudos!

The link to the mp3 is...

Could you let me know what's happening with the remix? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

Kenley/siven7

Kenley Kristofferson

Composer

Dragonfly Games

Game: Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

Remix name: Sunset on the Harbour

• 2 weeks later...

Source - SPC track 24 Close to Home

*EDIT*

larry is a foo

*MOAR EDIT*

k, time for an actual vote. very pretty source tune, and your mix follows suit. ok, i've listened to this one numerous times over the past few days, and i've been fairly on-the-fence about it. ultimately, what it comes down to is this kind of replicates the original almost to a fault. almost. that's not my biggest hangup. while it could use a little bit more in the way of counter-melodic support and additional partwriting, it's the production that holds the beef of my beef. there's some dynamic variance, yes, but there's not much of a FULL sound to be heard anywhere in here. definitely needs more low-end support. the low strings around :28 were really really hollow and then. then around :45, the upper register instruments have some nice crescendo action going on, but they just leave the lower instruments high and dry.

clean up the production (mixing) and perhaps find a way to fill in the low end in some way, and this would be in YES territory as far as I'm concerned.

RESUBMIT NO

Legwork with no vote, BGC?!? I kill u.

Pick a source, any source.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=uw2 - "Close to Home" (uw2-24.spc)

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=265 - 24 "Close to Home (Ending Theme)"

http://www.noderunner.net/~llin/psf/packs/UnchartedWatersII_psf.rar - 24 "Close to Home"

The instrumentation is aight, though pretty tame/fake sounding. Kinda hurting in spite of the attempt at a more intimate sound, but serviceable. I've certainly heard these samples before. Some of the elongated note sustains (1:30-1:35, 1:38-1:43) are pushing the realm of feasibility, at least given the tone of 'em. The long attacks on some of the parts does throw off the rhythm a bit, but I agreed with Malc that it wasn't a dealbreaker of an issue.

The arrangement slows down the theme and adds some writing underneath as far as I can tell, but the melodic interpretation factor in particular could be more substantial, especially for the first section. The feel was a bit too similar with Kanno's original off the bat.

1:21 seemed new though before seguing back to some source usage. The second half was stronger, particuarly on account of more substantive and personalized supporting writing and instrument choices. Some buziness/ringing in the low end in spots between 2:01-2:35.

Either refine the sound quality with further depth to flesh out the sounds a bit more, or get the first half of the arrangement sounding more interpretive, and I'd be solidly over the line. You've got the right idea overall. Good work so far, Kenley, this could snag some more YESs.

NO (refine/resubmit)

I like the new tempo. It's not that often that you hear someone slow down a source, and I feel like it really enhances the style. You're off to a good start with this mix! The arrangement is a little tentative at the moment, however. I think part of the problem is that it's just a little too short to develop a true arch.

Some balance issues, as BGC pointed out: there is a little too much volume the higher parts, and not enough bass to support them. And from 2:36 on, I felt like things got a little sparse. You'd need some more movement to develop something really substantial with such a thin texture.

Anyway, I hope you'll continue to work on this, because I see a lot of potential. ^-^

NO PLEASE RESUBMIT

Nice dynamic contrast in the first ~60 seconds. I agree w/ Larry that the samples aren't fantastic, but they get the job done. Orchestration, sequencing, and humanization is all solid. I don't think production is really an issue here, at least for me.

The original was complex and long so even after listening to it a few times it's hard to get a feel for it. However, I am generally in agreement with Larry that the mix is stylistically pretty similar. It takes the same approach as the original but thins the texture, removing the strong piano element. I don't know if the variation and additions to the writing really make up for that, as at times it just feels empty and sparse. Also, structurally, it felt.. flat, for lack of a better word. It didn't seem to "go anywhere" - even after listening a few times, I just didn't feel my ear really being led in any direction. It could have gone on for 2 more minutes, or been 1 minute shorter and I wouldn't have noticed. I almost think a little MORE repetition here to drive home some of the motifs would have helped, especially if you beefed up the orchestration on subsequent repeats.

What you have here is excellent work but I just do not feel that it quite meets the bar for arrangement. Refining that aspect and improving the structure would help this a lot.

NO, RESUBMIT