Earth Defense Force 2017: Surprisingly Awesome

sephfire

Seriously. Everyone here with a 360 needs to go rent this immediately (or buy it, given its bargain $40 price tag).

This game is like a modern day vision of an old-school campy B-movie. Aliens invade earth, sedning UFOs to drop hordes of enormous insects, robots and such all over earth. Armed with over 170 different unlockable weapons, you fight this threat.

What makes this game awesome:

-Tons of unlockable weapons. Burst-fire sniper rifles, guided missle launchers with automatic fire (awesome), gun turrets, flamethrowers, land mines ... the list goes on.

-50 levels with 6 difficulty settings. And I'm not talking half-assed difficulty changes either. The harder the setting, the faster the bugs move, the more acid they shoot at you (yes, acid), the more bugs there are, etc. The difficulty changes more than enough to make replaying levels fun. And you'll have to replay levels to beef up your HP for the harder difficulties. The highest difficulty is pure masochism.

-Destructable environments. Car in the way? Building blocking your path? Tree blocking visibility? Dozens of giant ants crawling over that skyscraper? That's what rocket launchers are for.

-Split-screen Co-op play. Haven't gotten to try it yet, but I'll be getting Tweek over this week to check it out. I've heard nothing but good things.

It's made by a small studio, so it may not look like Gears of War, but damn is it fun. I challenge anyone to play 10 levels of this game and tell me they aren't enjoying themselves by the end.

I've heard good things about this game from a variety of sources. Haven't seen it on shelves anywhere, but I'll keep an eye out once I get a 360 this weekend (:grin:).
EDF2017 doesn't come out in AU until the 31st. Online stores (DVDCrave, Games Warehouse) are taking pre-orders at $69.95, so it's a pretty good bargain.