PC Audio Interface Suggestions?

Hey folks,

I'm in the market for a new 'prosumer' audio interface (my current one is crapping out on me, randomly crashing my machine) and I need it to run $400 or under (student summer budget, etc).

It needs:

4 TRS inputs

2 XLR inputs

1 S/PDIF input

speaker output (or line outputs to convert)

headphone monitor output

24/96

MIDI I/O

phantom power

So far I've been looking at:

The E-MU 1616 PCI

1616MPCI.jpg

Good:

A good review from another musician I know and it meets my minimum requirements. It also has a PCI interface, which I hope is fast.

Bad:

Some skepticism concerning the actual quality of the interface being CL's high end line expressed by fellow GANGers, no reviews of the mic pres.

The Presonus Firepod

Firepod.jpg

Good:

Lots of mic inputs for the money, some really good reviews of the mic pres, and it's a bit more mature, visually speaking.

Bad:

Some really bad reviews of the mic pres and some nightmarish accounts of bad customer service and almost consistently defective units, also doesn't have 4 TRS inputs.

The Focusrite Saffire

Saffire.jpg

Good:

Supposedly good quality mic pres.

Bad:

Some complaints with wonky drivers and stutters.

I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has some good experience or bad experiences with what I'm looking for/at, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

- Dan

If your recording music into the computer, I suggest the lynx two. If your primary using soft synths, I suggest the RME Hammerfall.

Make sure you get XLR cabels though, and the proper adaptor cabels, never shove two channels into one sun, it's a mistake not worth doing.

oh yeah, don't let anyone tell you different, xlr cabels are better then trs because they look better, proven fact, yup, true story. Get adaptors, even if it's trs to xlr then back to trs. because there just so damn cool.

alright sun?

Basically,

I'll be recording soft synths in from a slave machine via the S/PDIF, but I'll be recording instruments and vocals as well, hence the need for an interface--I also prefer zero-latency monitoring so an out of PC interface is ideal for that (as well as the potential to move from computer to computer if necessary) as I'll be doing some "on-location" ADR for an indie feature later on this year.

Neither the Lynx, nor the Hammerfall are in my budget--though the Hammerfall is tempting because RME recently added virtual audio bussing on their DSP.

Any reason why you need four TRS inputs instead of two? You're going to be using them all at the same time? You can probably get a really good audio interface for less money if you're willing to get one with two inputs. I have the Edirol UA-25 and it's been great.

Oh, I was looking at Edirol, I like Roland a lot. However, the two units I saw didn't have S/PDIF (Coaxial) which I use right now a lot (almost all the time).

At the moment I have four TRS inputs and I don't want to spend this money 1) feeling like I downgraded, and 2) closing the doors on future project setups where I might need multiple line-ins.

That's sort of how I'm feeling about the line-ins at the moment.

I am a bit flexible, I suppose, since I'm even considering the Saffire, which only has 2 line-ins, but it has supposedly outstanding Mic Pres.

Check the Presonus Firebox? You have the Firepod on there, but I think the Firebox might make more sense. The only thing it doesn't have from your list is the 4 TRS inputs - it just has two, though the XLR inputs in front can also accomodate instrument inputs for synths etc. Other than that, it's $300 and has rock-solid drivers. I love mine.

At the moment I have four TRS inputs and I don't want to spend this money 1) feeling like I downgraded, and 2) closing the doors on future project setups where I might need multiple line-ins

if you're not using them now and aren't going to need them soon, you're probably never going to need them.

i 'downgraded' from a MOTU 828 to a Yamaha GO46 and i am a happy camper.

edit:

Nicholstein .... do you have any idea what you're talking about?

Check the Presonus Firebox? You have the Firepod on there, but I think the Firebox might make more sense. The only thing it doesn't have from your list is the 4 TRS inputs - it just has two, though the XLR inputs in front can also accomodate instrument inputs for synths etc. Other than that, it's $300 and has rock-solid drivers. I love mine.

The firepod just dropped again in price, down to $500, due to the new firestudio. Remember, those "XLR" plugs in the front are nifty: they can accept both xlr and trs with the same connector.