Larry needs a new laptop ($1,000 range)

Liontamer

I won't go into the logisitics of how the current one broke, but the BIOS isn't even recognizing the drive as being in place, and the actuator arm just clicks. I plan on recovering the data, but otherwise, R.I.P. :lol:

I'm not looking for much in a computer. I just want lots of HD space, and a good soundcard in order to listen and evaluate music and get underway with a VG Frequency podcast. Built-in wireless capability and a DVD-RW seem pretty standard for today's models in the $1,000 range.

I'd like to purchase something in that $1,000 range, but need some help comparing products. zirc recommended avadirect.com as a place to check out that had good prices and the ability to customize, or other verifications that this particular company offers, as well as other suggestions.

Did you check out Dyne's thread too? Several people gave input there which could help.

Indeed I did, thanks Justin. Still comparing on price, Andy's suggestion of avadirect.com has been the best I've seen, in that I can customize every spec. I'm able to start at a $700 model and then beef it up how I need to reach around $1000. If I don't see anything else, I may go with the CUSTOM NOTEBOOK, ASUS S96Fm Core™ 2 Duo Value Notebook, Intel 945GM, 15" WXGA, Integrated Intel GMA 950 Graphics.

If anyone has any opinions on the core notebook and the potential to build on it, please let me know. I'm looking to buy very soon after my next paycheck.

EDIT: BTW, it really looks like AVA Direct is on-point. Everything I'm reading about them sounds awesome: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/AVA_Direct