Play! Symphony

Mirai Gen

The quality of said mp3's are terrible anyway.

I think VGL is a bit better, mainly because I don't like Play!'s selection of music, although they make a better effort to cover popular games.

The best way to listen to these symphonies is on youtube of course. Or go to them. I would if I didn't have to drive 6 hours to the nearest one.

Having attended both in consecutive summers (Play! alone, and VGL with the OCRemix group), I'd say I enjoyed VGL because, as Jack Wall put it afterwards, it's more of a show, while Play! strives to be more of a concert. A very stiff, removed orchestral concert where they happen to play video game music. As such, I enjoyed VGL more.

Play! was also heavily sponsored by Square (since Arnie Roth, the conductor, had been in charge of the Square-only Dear and More Friends), with only a few of the most popular non-square games making it in. VGL, by contrast, only had Kingdom Hearts and OWA from Square, which was interesting. Apart from the Mario theme, Final Fantasy music was the first to get serious cover treatment, so it kind of set the bar in terms of what you'd normally expect when you hear "video game music." To hear a concert with almost all of that removed was different at worst and inventive and exciting at best.