Classical guitar

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

All right, gang. I've decided to really take my classical music training seriously(yeah I'm 21. Shut up), so I'm trying to find some classical guitar composers and performers to get a feel for the kind of music I want to write/play, and some sheet music would be great as well(although the name of a composer would be good enough).

Being that there are so many out there and most of my family has dealt with orchestral and vocal work, I'm sadly not familiar with that many, so I need this "jump start" if you will so that I can take it from there.

Thanks in advance.

Classical guitar is awesome. I've only memorized a few classical songs, but it has had a great influence on my style. Like most guitarists these days, I read tabs, which will cause you to perform the song inaccurately if you haven't listened to the song.

But, anyway, this site is awesome. I like to go there, sit down with an acoustic, and just play around. Some are way hard, some are way easy.

http://www.classtab.org/

Most classical guitarists play in an upright position, with the guitar angled upward, but I only tilt the guitar slightly, as I'm not real classical guitarist. And a real classical guitar (with nylon strings) is easier to play on and more appropriate for the music, but whatever. You can get the job done on a standard acoustic guitar.

What helped with playing classical songs was that it opened my mind to different progressions and themes - I've been using that influence and applying it to rock music, which seems to work quite well.

But anyway, have fun.

Well like I said, it's a family thing. I actually started when I was about 14, so I have a decent level of affluence with it, but I still have plenty of room for improvement; my sight reading is off, I haven't really heard that many different composers/styles, and I don't really have much to play other than a few things I've picked up over the years.

I don't really think that classical guitar is "underground" so to speak so much as it's not really as represented as much as other classical stuff like Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms or Tchaikovsky. I still love it though. It has a sense of unbridled passion that I just don't feel from the aforementioned guys. Granted, I'm a huge Chopin fan, and a lot of classical stuff is just plain beautiful, but the feel I get from the guitar is just different. I also couldn't stand the orchestra and conservatory atmosphere when I was younger, and that might have had an influence in why I'm so late.

Personally, for regular composers, I like Rachmaninoff. His music has an epic feel to it. The only time I really get to listen to some good classical guitar is on sundays, when the local classical station plays it for an hour. You might want to check out Gaspar Sanz, Fernando Sor, Andres Segovia, and Heitor Villa-Lobos. I'm not too sure on anything modernish though. If you have any groups that you like to listen to, please recommend them.

I believe I have exactly what you're looking for. Don't thank me, thank Hoch Weber.

http://www.hochweber.ch/guitar.htm

^^^

I learned about 98% of a song I downloaded and printed here but strangely enough I can't seem to find it in his list now. :( Maybe you can under a different name, it's Moonrise in the PDF, might grace intermediate. :P

Best of luck; although I don't do as much with it as I'd like, I wouldn't trade my classical guitar training for the world.

Does anyone here who plays classical guitar grow out their right hand nails and file them for picking purposes or use finger picks? Or do you just use the meat of your fingers to pluck the strings?

I really don't know any classical guitar myself but I love fingerstyle and would love to learn classical, I just hate the fact that I would have to grow out the nails on one hand and trim the other. I hate my nails growing so getting them to the point to act as a picking device would be extremely annoying to me. I just wonder if I'm the only one with sentiments like this.

Rubbery Dude: growing your fingernails and keeping them just the right length (a daily procedure, involving precision sanding) and making sure you don't do anything which might break them is a pain in the ass, but it sounds much better. I did it for about a year before I went back to playing with my fingertips instead of nails.

You can also get fingertip plectrums (plectra?) but I have no experience with those.

-steve

Does anyone here who plays classical guitar grow out their right hand nails and file them for picking purposes or use finger picks? Or do you just use the meat of your fingers to pluck the strings?

I really don't know any classical guitar myself but I love fingerstyle and would love to learn classical, I just hate the fact that I would have to grow out the nails on one hand and trim the other. I hate my nails growing so getting them to the point to act as a picking device would be extremely annoying to me. I just wonder if I'm the only one with sentiments like this.

I don't ever use my nails, and I chew them off anyway. Using nails gives greater volume, but it makes things sound a bit banjo-ish, if you catch my drift.