The Yamaha PSR

kongsmoelf

Could you be a little more specific, I've personally never heard of the series, but just looking around at them there is a bit of a difference beetween the $700 workstation and $99 midi controller. I also don't know what you want to use it for, that plays a big part in deciding. What's you're budget? From the looks of the keyboard though and the cost (the 99$ one) I wouldn't recommend it.

The Yamaha PSR is a line of keyboards. Problem is, however - there's the PSR7/8, 27/28, 37/38, 47/48, 200, 300, 400, 500, 510, 520, 530, 540, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 4000, and a crapton of others.

So, you're going to need to give us a number ;). Does it suck? Depends; you can't change anything about the sounds, generally, and the older ones are sort of useless; if it's got MIDI and it's recent, it doesn't suck that much; it's still always usable as a controller.

See http://www.synthmania.com/psr-3000.htm - there's also demos of a 300 on that site, so you can hear the difference between a newer and an older one ;).

Well, I personally own a PSR-275. I got it at Costco for something like 300 bucks. It's pretty damn decent in terms of sound libraries and MIDI control. I've never used it for more advanced purposes, but for general use I'd say it stands atop some of the other crap I've played around with before. Like Yoozer said, it depends entirely on what one you get as well. I've seen some of the later PSR models, and they look like ass but do roughly the same as mine without any really added benifits. I guess it all depends on what you want it to do. I'd reccomend it though, if that's what you wanted to hear. : D

Usa made great music with his PSR-3000

I own a PSR-2. Unfortunately its 30 patches and 8 voice polyphony might not be enough by itself to make something OCR would want. But the PSR-3000 may get the job done.

The entire line of PSR keyboards are still pretty much your standard entry-level keyboard though. You CAN actually write entire songs with the workstation versions though, but you'll have to ask someone with experience in those, like Usa. Wherever he is.

Well in 2 years, I am slowly gonna start buying a homestudio for remixing and making music. And In McVaffes guide here on site he recommend a PSR about the price of a 282 model. While I have some others in mind, but still wanted to look at it, I asked at a danish board (I'm from Denmark), and they didn't like them.

-Tobias:<

You probably shouldn't trust hardware reccomendations in those guides. They are very old (like over 5 years old). MIDI controller + software is usually the best way to start out these days. Or just software if you want to click stuff in on a piano roll instead of playing it on a keyboard.

Yea, what Fray said, 'cause I have a PSR-240, and it's like not even manufactured anymore... and instead of buying a brand new midi keyboard I'm just getting a midi-to-usb cable and hooking it up to my laptop to control Reason (software/DAW). Other than that it has no real other use to me except for casually playing around on. If you're thinking of getting a midi controller and software, or just a synthesizer or sampler for making pro-quality music, then I think there are several better options out there than the PSR.

Thanks for the aswers:-o

Quick note: When I said remixing I didn't mean remixing to OCR. Cause I sure ain't there yet.

Well, actually I have a keyboards in mind.

Yamaha PSR 500S

Roland Juno D

Roland E-50

Roland GW-7

Uhm... more than one actually:-P

But those are the ones that I have looked on the most.

-Tobias:<