What are your preferred 2D Super Mario platform physics?

DarkeSword

Loved the physics on New Super Mario Bros. since it brought a couple of moves from the 3D games and successfully implemented it to the 2D-style. However, one of the reasons I love The Lost Levels and the US SMB2 is differentiating between Mario and Luigi in terms of physics. I'm glad the GBA ports of the 2D titles were able to do the same thing with Luigi.

You've got to admit though, that Luigi's physics in TLL are insane. It's like he's running on ice and jumping on the moon. I've always preferred Luigi in SMB2(US), but TLL Luigi is out of control.

My favorite physics are definitely from Super Mario World, though I'll be quick to point out that I did not own an NES when I was younger and thus did not play SMB3 until after playing SMW. I've always felt the slickness in SMW felt just right, and it's no surprise that of all the different Mario platformers I'm best at World. Ultimately, however, it really does make a huge difference when you consider which 2D Mario game you played first.

My favorite physics are definitely from Super Mario World, though I'll be quick to point out that I did not own an NES when I was younger and thus did not play SMB3 until after playing SMW. I've always felt the slickness in SMW felt just right, and it's no surprise that of all the different Mario platformers I'm best at World. Ultimately, however, it really does make a huge difference when you consider which 2D Mario game you played first.

Not first; I played a LOT of SMB1 when I was little, before SMB3 even came out. But I think it's that I've always returned to SMB3 over the years that makes it feel "perfect" for me.

I got SMB3 back in '89 for Christmas, along with an NES, King's Quest, and SMB2. As long as I've been playing video games, it's surprising I'm not a designer by now :-P

Anywayz, I played Mario 3 first, because it was the hot title that year. Then Mario 2, which I had wanted but couldn't convince my parents in time for my short attention span to contain. It was probably only 4 or 5 months, but that was certainly long enough for my desire for an old game (SMB 2) to wane for the new "Now you're playing with Power!" advertisements, with their then-amazing graphics.

So long story short, SMB3 is my fave all-time. I did get s Super Nintendo a few years later, basically just for Super Mario World, but the lack of a zillion powerups, not so many areas to fly, and some annoyingly difficult areas, with levels that went from nearly impossible to astonishingly easy (the forest after the two hills, especially getting to the special star zone.... evil, so evil), Choco Mountain, and of course the secret exit out of the Valley of Bowser.

For some reason the Valley of Bowser always has made me think of Death Valley... especially after seeing its SMB3 iteration.

Anyway the uber-secret levels were on an Apple Jacks box, and that made me give the game a jack up in difficulty. Tubulur, Awesome! Extreme, Outrageous... those levels were totally insane. My hands are cramping just thinking of their 2D goodness.:-P

So my catch is, although SMW had better controls, it was contrasted with more erratic difficulty (SMB3 generally went from easy to hard, to harder, to WHY ARE THE CANNONZ STILL KILLING ME! ARGH!!!), with a couple of levels in worlds 5, 6, and 7 out of order.

But aside from that, I loved both games, but my heart sings to SMB3, if your heart can sing to a game... while SMW is remembered more as when I finally began to get some skill as a gamer.

So

1. SMB3

2.SMW

3.SMB2

4.SMB

5. Donkey Kong

6. Mario Bros

7. Yoshi's Island 1

8. Mario 2: Lost Levels (Japan version)

9. Super Mario 64 (didn't own it :P)

10. Super Mario Land (ditto)

I'm hoping Galaxy shoots up to the top. If it has challenge, great power ups, and lastability, which I seriously hope it does, it will repersonify Mario to me. I haven't really bought a Mario game for years because I thought Mario 64 was non-linear, and one of my favorite things about Mario is it's directed linearity. But I'm much more excited about Galaxy than any game since 64, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So

1. SMB3

2.SMW

3.SMB2

4.SMB

5. Donkey Kong

6. Mario Bros

7. Yoshi's Island 1

8. Mario 2: Lost Levels (Japan version)

9. Super Mario 64 (didn't own it :P)

10. Super Mario Land (ditto)

I'm hoping Galaxy shoots up to the top. If it has challenge, great power ups, and lastability, which I seriously hope it does, it will repersonify Mario to me. I haven't really bought a Mario game for years because I thought Mario 64 was non-linear, and one of my favorite things about Mario is it's directed linearity. But I'm much more excited about Galaxy than any game since 64, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Uh, just want to clarify, this isn't a thread about anything other than the PHYSICS in Mario games. Don't really care too much about power-ups and secret levels. :roll: