PS3 Does Well In Japan, X-box 360 Left Out...

Dyne

I agree that there is a lot more to the 360 than just Halo 3. It's a stong system with a lot of other good games. But the question is, if it weren't for the success of the original Halo game, would the 360 ever been made? Even if it had would it have been as successful? Personally, I don't think the 360, or the original XBOX would have seen anything near the commercal success that they're experiencing now if it weren't for the Halo series. Even though at its release, there were a lot of 360 fans in spite of having no Halo game, I'd be willing to bet there'd be a lot more people who just didn't give a frick about the next XBOX, if it weren't for the Halo series getting them hooked in the first place. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'd also be willing to bet that the release of Halo 3, even though they took their time with it, was a huge sales booster for 360 consoles.

So I go on to make my point that Microsoft wouldn't be where it is today in the console market if it weren't for Halo. Duh.

Disclaimer: Don't label me an XBOX or Halo fanboy, because frankly I could care less about either. Still, you can't ignore the impact that both of them had a significant impact on the overall popularity of console gaming.

http://vgchartz.com/

Wii is on top, 360 closely trailing, PS3 is not even a competitor.. worldwide anyway.

In Japan, PS3 > 360.

lol vgchartz.

They use fake numbers just fyi.

and lol 3 or 2 weeks of outselling the wii depending on famitsu or media create is not "well" for ps3. This is the first time in forever ps3 sold above 20k.

While PS3 is gaining steam, it really isn't doing "well".

Better sources includes following the sales threads in NEOGAF. If you guys really care about that kinda stuff...

I agree that there is a lot more to the 360 than just Halo 3. It's a stong system with a lot of other good games. But the question is, if it weren't for the success of the original Halo game, would the 360 ever been made? Even if it had would it have been as successful? Personally, I don't think the 360, or the original XBOX would have seen anything near the commercal success that they're experiencing now if it weren't for the Halo series. Even though at its release, there were a lot of 360 fans in spite of having no Halo game, I'd be willing to bet there'd be a lot more people who just didn't give a frick about the next XBOX, if it weren't for the Halo series getting them hooked in the first place. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'd also be willing to bet that the release of Halo 3, even though they took their time with it, was a huge sales booster for 360 consoles.

So I go on to make my point that Microsoft wouldn't be where it is today in the console market if it weren't for Halo. Duh.

Disclaimer: Don't label me an XBOX or Halo fanboy, because frankly I could care less about either. Still, you can't ignore the impact that both of them had a significant impact on the overall popularity of console gaming.

Without Donkey Kong, would there be Nintendo? If DK had failed, would Nintendo have bothered? The obvious answer would be a no. Without Sonic, would there be a Sega? I mean, we can do this game forever and it'd make an equal amount of sense.

It really doesn't exactly matter how the gaming companies came to be to the point where it is now. Sony's gaming division being born from a political coup and Pong being made as a technological accident doesn't automatically degrade any of the progress made later.

As for the 360 nowadays, it's mostly about the volume and accessibility (like with PSOne and PS2) than a single game. Though obviously Halo 3 did make a splash, it's not the only game in town anymore. The 360 sold 10 million units before any Halo. The Wii equally did well enough without a flagship title for a while. I really don't think it really matters terribly nowadays of that one game to move entire consoles. I think that thinking is outdated.