Activision and Blizzard merge!

Azure Prower

am i the only one that realizes it was smart for a more PC oriented game company to merge with a more console oriented game company and that the internet should not be exploding right now?

I'm pretty certain I mentioned that many posts ago, actually. Blizzard had expressed a lot of interest in bringing their games to consoles, but let's be honest. They do PC games, and they are more or less the undisputed masters thereof. A merger with a company like Activision is perfect for them. Even though Blizzard isn't really the company merging. Vivendi is. But still.

The reason the internet is exploding is this: There are 9 million people playing World of Warcraft. Now, some people just do not like that game, and I can understand that. But for those of us that do, WoW is really astoundingly close to a perfect gaming experience. We ask for something, and Blizzard almost always listens within a couple content patches. There's awesome new content being pushed ALL the time. So the idea of someone marching on Stormwind and ruining our gaming Utopia is rather disconcerting. I don't think that's going to happen, but I think concern over the remotest possibility is scaring the hell out of a lot of people.

This might sound like a stupid question, but does this change anything? What I got out of the article was that Blizzard would simply be stamping their logo onto Activision games, and vice versa. What's the big deal?

For the consumer, virtually nothing. For the Industry, we've entered the era of Battlestars fighting each other. If you're not in the Industry, yeah, it's business as usual.

This is getting a lot of mainstream news coverage. I am repeatedly surprised at finding video game news on the front page of the business section of The New York Times.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but it bugs me that this coverage always seems ignorant of the days of Ninja Gaiden and Road Rash; it's almost ignorant of video games themselves. It's dry market analysis for businessmen. I suppose the industry has always been about business, but it's becoming more apparent as games become more mainstream. It symbolizes ever more clearly a shift away from my nostalgia about video games.

The reason the internet is exploding is this: There are 9 million people playing World of Warcraft. Now, some people just do not like that game, and I can understand that. But for those of us that do, WoW is really astoundingly close to a perfect gaming experience. We ask for something, and Blizzard almost always listens within a couple content patches. There's awesome new content being pushed ALL the time. So the idea of someone marching on Stormwind and ruining our gaming Utopia is rather disconcerting. I don't think that's going to happen, but I think concern over the remotest possibility is scaring the hell out of a lot of people.

nothings going to change though, blizzard is going to do their thing, vivendi is doing theirs, and someone is taking both revenue streams, which is pretty much the only reason this merger happened.