*NO* Chrono Cross 'Achieving Anemnesis'

Liontamer

Hello guys. Hope you enjoy.

File link:

remixer name: The Radical Dreamers (plural, like a band, even though it's just me. Just...fly with it yo)

remix title: Achieving Anemnesis

email: mutronbiphase@hotmail.com

game: Chrono Cross

song: Garden of the Gods

Yasunori Mitsuda, PS2

Comments: "A return to Divinity"

yup

have fun

Michael Collins

Percussion is really lacking in any kind of power or energy at all, which becomes more and more apparent as the song progresses.

As for the arrangement, it's quite conservative. You go through the source tune twice with very little in the way of embellishment. The piano line is a direct translation of the harp line from the original.

You have to do a lot more than just play the song on your guitar, hell you could have thrown in a solo of the chords at least.

NO

Sorry, Michael, but I'm going to have to agree. This is a very conservative arrangement. Not bad at all in terms of production, but the percussion does lack punch. Something funny happens in the drums at 1:44 as well... It sounds like you were going for some sort of syncopation, but whatever it was didn't actually work out the way you intended - it sounds completely off rhythm. :3

You have a good handle on music making, it would seem, so don't be discouraged. Just try to familiarize yourself with our standards on reinterpretation, and give this arrangement another (more personalized) shot.

NO RESUBMIT

Funny, the opening vox in the source tune reminded me of Jill for some of the notes.

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 301 "Garden of the Gods"

Yeah, not much to add that DarkeSword and pixietricks haven't covered. The arrangement is too cover-ish with too little interpretation for the standards here. It's not enough to give it more of a rock treatment. I also thought the electric guitar tone was weak and there wasn't enough meat on it; I don't feel the lead had to sound this fragile, not to mention stiffly played.

1:21 picked things up pretty well with some added instrumentation including some nice grungy backing guitars. I thought the sound balance was a bit sloppy though, in that it was hard to tell what was supposed to be standing out with the thick electric guitar, the strings, e-piano and drums. The instruments need some EQ love to occupy their own space a bit more. I see where the criticisms of the drums came from; they didn't sound off per se, rather just too busy for the style you were going for with the rest of the instrumentation.

Your production quality could use more polish, but yeah, you've definitely got the basic musical skills here. Like the others mentioned, we're also looking for interpretation of the source material with the submissions we receive. This had 2 fairly straightforward iterations of the theme, and then it was over. You've not only got to interpret the material, but you've got to offer something that sound more developed as an idea. Check out some other recent Chrono Cross mixes posted to the site and compare them with the original tracks to get more of an idea of what we're looking for on that level.

NO