Liontamer

Remixer Name: Blue.Nocturne

Email Address: blue_nctrn@yahoo.com

User Id: 22091

Submission Information:

Remix Title: Dr. Wily Symphonic

Name of game arranged: Megaman 2

Name of songs arranged: Dr. Wily Stage 1

Link to Original Songs: Check ye olde NSFs.

Additional Comments: Before you say "NOT ANOTHER #$%@ing DR. WILY REMIX," be sure to give it a listen as I promise it will be worth the 2:49 of your life. I decided to orchestrate it, as I feel every good song deserves to have an orchestral counterpart. Enjoy! (at least I hope so)

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/9114 - Track 19

For the start, I was a bit worried at the relatively conservative genre adaptation here. But it clicked for me during the chorus at 1:09 that Dennis displayed enough instrumental variation to evolve the arrangement on at least that level. Not bad, not bad.

I liked the original section from 1:34-1:59. Too bad it was sandwiched between the iterations of the source rather than more intermingled with the source, but that was a reasonable stylistic choice.

2:23-2:35 sounded like a mere cut-and-paste of :23-:35's section which was weak for such a short track. That could have been varied up without changing the structure to not retread, but it wasn't a dealbreaker issue.

Bad choice of notes at 2:45 for the finish. I wouldn't die if this was posted like that, but that was just messed up. :lol: Tweak that if you can.

For the conservative treatment of the arrangement, the instrumental variation, new part-writing and brief original section definitely personalized this in a substantial way.

All things considered, I would have loved to have heard something more melodically interpretive and/or further developed as a concept. But this was a solid effort that displays how you can do a substantial arrangement job for the standards without overhauling the structure. Looking forward to more from you, Dennis!

YES (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...

Arrangement sticks closely to the source but the instrumentation is varied and there is enough original writing to outweigh that. I especially like that you used a marimba/xylophone, it's just not used nearly enough in any kind of music! I thought you pulled of such a high energy piece very well too! I thought the ending was anti-climatic but it's passable. I would really prefer that you didn't use the last two notes but it's up to you. However the tubular bell cut-off at the end, need a fade there.

The lead violin sounded a bit dry when played really high and the piece seemed to lack some proper bass but it wasn't really a dealbreaker. Especially not so since the low bass frequencies doesn't play as huge a part in an orchestral recording compared to, say, techno. Otherwsie the production clicked with me, I'm impressed you used such a big orchestra and got it to sound cohesive and like.. well an orchestra.

Overall, this is a very dynamic and energetic piece. It's great fun to listen to and you took your time with some original writing and additional parts. This really impressed me actually. Very nice and well deserving of frontpage glory.

YES(conditional on cut-off fix)

Pretty nice orchestration here. Lots of people use QLSO, but few people use it properly. This is one case where I'd say it was used very creatively, particularly in the slower break in the middle with the quartal movement in the wood percussion. Great original writing! I would have liked to hear more variation in the main melody, though - the chord progression and the melody are basically identical to the original. Some flourishes or variations on the chords/rhythms would have been very welcome there, for example. There are, however, some great fills and transitions throughout, as well as little touches of detail that add to the whole package.

One other gripe - the ending... I don't like how it ends on the VI with that last stab, would have preferred VI->i instead. Oh well...

Though not particularly risky in the treatment of the source material, this remix IS really well-executed with sophisicated orchestration, good production, and creative original writing as well.

YES