OCR01987 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Farore Lies in Wait'

Palpable

Title: Farore Lies in Wait

Game: Zelda 3

Themes: Lost Woods, Fairy Fountain/File Select Screen

Remixer: chthonic

Userid: 3842

I hope you all like this. I like it. It's pretty straightforward. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=loz3 - 18 "Forest of Mystery", 25 "The Goddess Appears"

• 2 weeks later...

eep- first note is pretty piercing- actually the entire high end sounds a bit hot in the intro, but the effect is conveyed well enough.

Once the track comes in, it's a pretty good mix of in game sounds, original-sounding synths, and more hifi stuff. I agree that it is pretty straightforward arrangement-wise, though there are some good linking sections, and a cool new feel.

I think you could have taken the arrangement a lot further, but there were enough cool details that made this unique enough for me to give it a pass.

yes

Have to admit, I was not that crazy about the arrangement, especially compared to the great stuff Ben has given us in the past. The source melodies played straight, backed up with some standard backing synths and beats. It was catchy but felt somewhat simple and not that interpretive overall, reminiscent of old-school subs. The chord changes to the fairy melody were a good idea to add some interpretation, but one of the chords came off unmelodic to me. The arrangement meets the criteria, but it was hard to get excited about.

However, this is definitely too loud/compressed. That definitely needs to be fixed, and you'll probably be hearing it from Jimmy too cause he chewed out another sub for that same thing recently. :-P The high-end also gets really piercing from the get go. I think you can fix some levels; the open hat, for instance, sounded louder than it needed to be.

Overall, very close to a pass, just need to fix the production.

NO (resubmit)

Whoa, let's fix those levels. You're breaking my head open and my brains are spilling out. I had to turn my volume down to 25% just to listen to this. Why you hurt? :'-(

I can understand how the arrangement didn't set Vinnie's world on fire, but I think he sold it a bit short. The club beats conceivably dragged some, but this was definitely still pretty strong, creative stuff. I thought everything pieced together well, and while melodically it was relatively conservative, this was all manner of personalized.

Why the hiss/noise for the last section at 4:04? No points off (the effect end indicated it was purposeful), but that was just odd.

Just fix the levels, which I know you're capable of, and this should be posted, IMO. Great to see more stuff from you, Ben!

YES (conditional)

Agree that I'd like to hear more dynamics.

Pro: Great club execution, great sounds, great transitions and composition

Con: While the transitions work very well, and the different sections are clearly linked to the source, I think the melodies are somewhat..bare. They seem not to fit with the feel of the tune. The hat gets a little loud at times. I'm also not a fan of the noise at the end. It doesn't make it sound vintage, it just makes it sound noisy.

Borderline YES

I've given this a lot of listens now to not make a hasty vote. I will keep myself short though. Overall track was LOUD but you can fix that. Arrangement won't win any awards for composition but I thought it just squeaked by. There were no big "edges" between the different sources and the build-ups/drops worked well. Overall I'm cool with this if the levels are fixed.

YES(borderline)

• 2 weeks later...