OceansAndrew

Contact Information

* Your ReMixer name: Dj Mystix

* Your real name Mansoor Nazar

* Your userid 11757 (DjMystix)

Submission Information

* Name of game(s) arranged Revenge of Shinobi

* Name of individual song(s) arranged My Lover

* Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

* Composeer : Yuzo koshiro

* System : Sega Genesis

* Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

* Original Sources:

My Lover (Revenge of Shinobi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6PUcGIU-0U

Parting Forever (Lost Odyssey)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFGrxKDrluI

Comments:

This is the second time I am revisiting this song (last time was 10 years ago). It's one of my favorite video game songs.

The mix starts with a piano riff taken from Lost Odyssey - Parting Forever. Since the source is very short, I merged it one of my own songs I wrote some 10 years ago. Hope you'll like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty nice arrangement here, it has a nice melancholy that I always think about when waxing poetic about the ninja way of life. Production was good, with a solid soundscape and well-used samples, and plenty of interpretation. The piano plunking at the beginning was a little heavy handed, but not enough to really be a parody.

Besides that pounding piano, the guitar sample is a little weak, but it's well used, and is more for the texture, rather than carrying a melody. The synths and strings sound pretty nice, and it gives the whole thing a smokey and sortof dreamlike flashback feel, along with the gated synths.

I'm pretty good with this passing, I enjoy it. :-)

Yes

The piano at the start gives off a bit of a bad impression for the rest of the mix, but once you get past that things pick up. The arrangement is solid, with the original material fitting in well vs. source material.

I'm not as crazy about the samples as Andrew is, but I think they are better than average. As Andrew mentioned, the guitar is a little weak, but is used effectively.

Overall, I am comfortable passing this. Nice work.

YES

Gorgeous and moody track, I was really feeling it. I could see this getting criticized as being too backgroundy - that's a complaint I've made about songs similar to this. However I think the leads are present enough that it wasn't an issue.

The fake background guitar suits this, it's a staple of a lot of R&B songs. It's one of those instances where I don't think a real guitar would have been better. The weakest part by far was the piano, which should have been used more subtly, but it's there only a short amount of time and isn't horrible. The synth strings play the same way each time, which is a little lazy for a lead. Some minor melody changes might have been nice. And the snare switch at 1:20 was not great - you should have gone thicker, not thinner. I'm not positive this will clear the panel with ease, but I did enjoy it and it seems good enough to me, despite some weak areas.

YES

• 1 month later...

Aw yeah. So smoove.

I love that big string sound. Despite being laid-back, it's got a serious 80s/90s sci-fi anime feel, like with some giant robots in space and a love story or something. You know what I'm saying.

I like the quiet, gated synth in the background; it really adds a nice pulse to the track. Very full sound, good balance.

YES