OCR02363 - *YES* Cave Story 'The Unbroken'

DragonAvenger

Nutritious

Justin Medford

Cave Story

Final Battle

This submission really is me coming full circle. The first mix I ever submitted to ocr was for this same source tune - which was given up on after 3 rejections :). This is a completely different take on the source, going for some sort of orchestral/pendulum combination. Given my first few mixes, people seem to be taken back when I do something that's not straight orchestral. So I tried to throw in a bit of a surprise with the beat/synths & later vocals.

I spent a lot more time processing the vocals than I ever have previously. I used 4 different vocoders on and off throughout the mix, as well as autotuned harmonies for the pre-chorus and bridge. I tried to get as big a sound as possible (a la Pendulum) once everything kicks in - which I think I accomplished a LOT more effectively with this mix than my previous Return All Robots submission.

Source-wise, this is admittedly a bit more on the liberal side than my usual. The intro and verses only really connect to the source via chord usage. Source should be pretty apparent, though, when the beat & synths kick in, as well as pre-chorus, bridge, & instrumental chorus.

The darkest night

These hopeless days

Still we are waiting

To touch the source

As all life prays

Hope keeps on fading

As dawn draws near

Ignite in me

Fire consuming

They try to break

The light we bring

But still we are moving on

Fate

Killing our time

Spending our lives

Fighting alone

Faith

Filling our souls

Willing us fight

You're not alone

Deep in silence

Darkness blinds us

Will you break these

Chains that bind us

You're not alone

You're not alone

You're not alone

-------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0pFBWAMvo4

• 5 weeks later...

haha that opening - I could have guessed this was Justin within 5 seconds of this starting. :-) Great to have a strong sonic signature. :-)

I love the synth that comes in, though I think the drums could have been ramped up slightly to gain in power until the melody came in. It still worked, but would have been more exciting with a longer build. The attention of detail on production of this really is a step up for you, with a lot of little percussive flourishes and some panning. Nice balance of clean singing and vocoding, you can hear that you can actually sing in addition to having the cool effect. Great snare sound, and things are pretty clear on the sound front.

Love it, keep improving, dude. Possibly your best yet, IMO. :-)

Yes

• 2 weeks later...