OCR02384 - *YES* Zelda 2 'Heroes Fall'

OceansAndrew

Hello my friends! It's been such a long time since I've done this, but I'd like to submit another track to you fine people at OCR.

housethegrate

Alexander Liss

http://housethegrate.net

Legend of Zelda 2 (NES)

"Heroes Fall"

Title Screen, Town, Overworld

This arrangement is barebones and nothing fancy. It is one steel-string guitar, one nylon, and one electric - a representation of the simple strength of three. The guitars intertwine and each takes the lead melody at different points. The inspiration was memories of growing up with my two brothers.

Thanks for listening,

house

Very sparse take on the themes, but it is overall really nice. I could definitely imagine this as a courage-wisdom-power trio played live. :-)

The arrangement itself was very nice, with some good counter melodies and ornamentation added to the source themes. I do think some of the transitions were a bit on the weak side, with some simply just going to the next theme.

Production was clean (as it should be with just 3 guitars), but I think it could have been normalized a bit, with the volume coming up slightly.

Overall very pleasant, and while not blowing me away, it's a good and serene track that I think should be on the site.

Yes

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, agreed for the most part on OA's crits regarding some weak transitions, but was on the same page as the others. I could see why someone would think twice on the arrangement, as the structure's basically the same, but there was some smart additive embellishments as well as nuances in the chorused writing to give this a different feel than the originals. I think it comes off personalized enough to just make it there.

I loved the power of three motif in here with the 3 different guitars, and the simple, straightforward recordings really made this an understated piece of ear candy where you can really appreciate Alex's performance and pick out details. A nice genteel sound, and a solid take on these Zelda II sources. Always nice to have a great house track on board, nice work, Alex!

YES