OCR02506 - *YES* Final Fantasy 6 'Dramatic Dark World' *RESUB*

OceansAndrew

Previous thread:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35250

Hello,

Here is my resub of the arrangement "Dramatic Dark World" from FF6. Thank you for the constructive and valuable feedback,

which I took into account when tweaking this piece. I think the mix and production are improved now, after I fixed the mids in the

beginning, toned down the brass in the middle, spaced out the panning more, and adjusted some velocities and removed

some instrument doublings. I hope you find this version to be an improvement. Thank you!

ReMixer name: LemonLime

Name: Christian Floisand

userid: 44839

Game: Final Fantasy 6

Song arranged: Dark World

Composed by: Nobuo Uematsu

Comments:

I was inspired to do this arrangement after hearing Jeremy Soule's great orchestration of Terra's Theme

from Final Fantasy 6. But in addition, I was also keen on developing my midi orchestration skills in Logic using

Vienna Special Edition and this seemed like a good way to do that. After auditioning several tracks from the

game, I decided that Dark World presented some good orchestral opportunities that I wanted to explore.

Thanks very much for your time!

Best regards,

Christian Floisand

• 4 weeks later...

I do think the opening notes are a little heavy-handed, but the strings that come in after are very nuanced and expressive. Arrangementwise, some of the stiffness is coming from the piece being so blocky, but it works in an ominous and oppressive way. Great setting of mood.

Overall it's an improvement, though whether or not the other judges agree remains to be seen; I do think some woodwind runs would help it feel a little more flowing, but I do think it is good enough to pass. The combination of light arrangement touches and a dramatic and dark sound work well in concert, and the samples are well used, with a lot of intelligent and interesting articulations.

Yes

As a first-time listener of the track, I do have to say that the intro wasn't instilling very much confidence. It felt very blocky and stiff, and could have benefited a lot from some very low, grumbling sustained notes to get a more massive sound out of those stabs. The blockiness/stiffness of some of the instruments isn't nearly as apparent when you've got a lot more layers going on, though, so keep that in mind when writing with instruments where you can't necessarily pull off perfectly humanized articulations - don't leave them exposed :-)

That said, after that point things definitely picked up. The arrangement is a slow burner and I do feel like it took a while for me to really get into it, but fortunately your sample quality is strong and for the most part, the articulations are realistic. There's some really powerful moments to this arrangement and, while I feel like it never climaxes into anything in particular, it's still a pretty good, albeit conservative, take on the Dark World theme. I'm cool with it, even though there's parts that could be tightened up overall. Good work :-D

YES

I could argue the fact it never quite takes off but never did the original. The intro is incredibly blocky and I can't decide if I like that. The additions and harmonies are all quite nice and the sequencing, whilst not stellar, is alright.

It kind of drifts between not-quite-borderline and really quite nice at times. On the whole I'm good with passing this but definitely bear in mind contour and tension in your next submission as they are a bit absent here.

YES