OCR01380 - *YES* Landstalker 'Rare Mineral Addict'

djpretzel

Who's this loser, anyways?? - djp

Hello.. it's been a while. The original version of the song I chose to ReMix is amazing in my opinion so I had to change up the style in order to make my ReMix worth listening to. There is NO GYM AVAILABLE FOR LANDSTALKER and that really pisses me off. I had to rip the original directly from the game but I'm sure there were some songs I missed out on as a result.

I put a link to the homemade recording of the original song. If Mr. Oji is unable to locate the song on the net then please leave the following link available so that anyone can listen to the original if they want. I will keep it on my site perminently.

Thank you and enjoy!

Thanks to Sam for hosting the original Landstalker material. "After Guardians" is probably one of the best-sounding examples of material that EVER came out of the Yamaha YM 2612 FM chip, it's that well-made. I'm definitely interested in hearing what else Motoaki Takenouchi came up with for the game.

Moving onto the remix itself, after an intro that leaves one going "Whu?" for the first 3 seconds, the first minute or so was surprisingly cheerful-sounding & catchy. Really loved the changes in instrumentation throughout as well. 2:06 was a particularly memorable example.

Most people just can't pull off style and tempo changes like Shna, so it's cool to hear material like this where ideas like that actually work. I felt this could have stood to be a little shorter, but nonetheless the variations on the source presented throughout here were excellently handled.

This kind of stuff isn't for everybody...but it should be. Certainly glad to have Sam on board as the newest additional to the panel, but I would have been more disappointed if we never heard from him on the remix side again. Cool stuff, and a nice addition to the site from a very obscure Genesis title. Perhaps Sam hosting the soundtrack will lead to some more people in the community discovering what Landstalker had to offer???

YES

• 2 weeks later...

unmistakeably shnabubula.

sam takes what is already a somewhat unusual song and turns it inside out. i dont know what to say specifically about this remix other than it's well-concieved, well executed, and quite powerful.

Sam is doing a great service to the community by serving up such unconventional yet entertaining tracks. He challenges listeners to think about music in new ways, using near chaos to hilight convergent harmony. Great stuff.

YES

Great interpretation of the great source. The original elements are all here but they are stretched, twisted and contorted in that amazingly creative Shna style that’s so easy to love and so easy to hate. Whatever side personal preference puts you on it has to be conceded that this represents an expansive and skillfully executed tribute to Takenouchi’s work.

The bass-play at 0:57-1:20 is chilled magic. Throughout the track the bass is alive with variation and it’s wonderful to follow it as it takes the lead, then morphs into almost a supporting pad then is reborn with a the cleanest of funky slap styles. It meshes well with the seemingly endless array of other sounds that laugh in the face of repetition. One would think that with this many elements present clutter would be inevitable but the hard panning, distinctive EQ on each instrument, sparse reverb and variety of textures keeps the entirety of this mix as clear as a bell…a clear bell anyway…not a busted bell or something.

Eh, this YES is as easy as the easiest of NOs. Great stuff man.

YES