OCR02890 - *YES* Mega Man X4 & X6 'Race the Phoenix'

Palpable

Remixer Name: Gario

UserID: 22898

Games Arranged: Mega Man X4 & Mega Man X6

Song Name: Race the Phoenix

Tracks Arranged: Slash Beast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj42WRDSCoY) & Blaze Heatnix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0yZtgyqHXM)

Additional Notes:

Hey there! I noticed something strange about my current accepted submissions, so far - while all are well produced, solid tracks, I feel like this site hasn't hosted one of my more traditional styles (for me, anyway) - a fast paced 9-bit blast-fest with solos, crazy leads and some hardcore chiptune wankery. So here you go, one of the best remixes of this type that I have to offer (as of the time of typing this).

This was the first round submission to the Grand Maverick Remix Battle of 2012, and what a dousy it was. By a strange twist of fate, the competitor that I matched up with in the final of the Sonic compo (and lost to, as well) was pitted against me for an odd sort of rematch. Naturally, I gave it my all, and this was the result - I'm pretty damn happy with the resulting track.

Gotta love the spirit of competition. I hope you all agree that it brings out the best in me.

------------------------------

- "Slash Beast"

- "Blaze Heatnix" Edited by djpretzel

Great stuff, Greg. Really love the energy you put into this mix, and the overall approach you have here fits both pieces well. That being said, it seems like the Blaze Heatnix melodies are really downplayed here. I'm guessing Slash Beast was your guy as he is definitely the star of the show.

My couple nitpicks are pretty small. Aside from the background Heatnix, I felt like some of the lead sound choices you made are very similar to one another, so the change-ups weren't as strong as they could have been.

Nice work.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty solid work here, it's got the Gario10bit style in full effect, with some powerful momentum and some cool transitions and breakdowns. I'm really feeling those hardpanned arp synths that open and close out the track as well, they are a big part of the frantic energy this song has. I'd have loved a halftime section, but there were some breaks in the action to give a sense of balance to the composition, and some larger builds wuld have made it perfect.

Overall pretty damn sweet.

Yes

• 1 month later...

Nice lo-fi start, though when things peaked at :21 and the track officially kicked off, it should have had more high-end clarity to it. All throughout, the lack of clarity dinged this track, even though I enjoyed it.

Man, I've heard some crazy chiptune tracks, but the way everything in the arrangement was played around was overloaded with ear candy and manic energy. Short and sweet, an awesome arrangement! :-)

YES

Let's start with your YES so that you don't sweat it.

YES

Everything I have to say on this track is just to help you improve your already good production. The track has great energy overall and I preferred the frequency balance on this song to last few songs of yours I heard, which I found a little grating. That said, this still felt on the crowded side to me. The backing part that opens the song takes up a lot of room, and I would cut that some - it's most problematic when the main melody comes in. The part also has slightly too long of a release for such a fast repeated pattern IMO, so shortening the release or maybe quickening the reverb decay will open up some more space.

The guitar-ish synth lead that takes focus at 1:15 is a little dull and doesn't cut as well through the mix. By contrast, the square lead at 0:54 sounded excellent and really cut through nicely.

Again these are nitpicks, but since you submit so often, I want to see you get to that next level of music-making. Ending was really sweet btw.