OCR03083 - *YES* Final Fantasy 6 'Day of Ruin'

Chimpazilla

Song Download Link:

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Dj ThirdEye

Your real name: Thomas Shepperd

Your website: ThirdEyeDesignz.com (down currently), http://www.looperman.com/users/tracks/998598

Your userid: 52915

Submission Information

Name of game: Final Fantasy 6

Name of arrangement: Day of Ruin

Name of individual song: Kefka Theme

Composer: Nobuo Uematsu

I've been a fan of this track since I was a kid playing FF6 on the SNES. There is so much good music in FF6. This was one of my favorites. I wanted to do a fast paced electronic remix of this song to mirror the chaos that is Kefka. Infected Mushroom was the inspiration for the style, and Nobuo Uematsu was the inspiration for doing the song. I used Ableton to mix the track. All synths were made with NI Massive, Ni Kontakt for the string instruments, and mastered with Izotope Ozone.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best,

Thomas

Initial impression: this track seems well produced but feels long. Even though there are multiple variations in timbre, it feels like the source tune is handled similarly each time and near the end I find I'm really sick of the source tune. Not sure about that speedup section. Will vote later.

edit 10/10/14: I'm still sick of that source tune as the same motif plays over and over, but the timbre changes keep it fresh. So MANY timbre changes, I love that. Lots of nice details in this track, all mixed well. I happen to like the dissonant sections, they sound purposeful and I think that adds moodiness. I do agree it almost sounds too empty texture-wise sometimes, which seems an odd comment to make given the glitchy/sequency nature of some of these timbres. I don't care for the speedup at all. Regardless, so many unique ideas, nicely done.

YES

Edited by Chimpazilla

Initial impression: this track seems well produced but feels long. Even though there are multiple variations in timbre, it feels like the source tune is handled similarly each time and near the end I find I'm really sick of the source tune. Not sure about that speedup section.

The speedup section was a small part of this, and it was super-fast for only about 10 seconds from 4:12-4:21; no big deal to me (and a perfectly fine idea).

The only thing I had a problem with per se was crowding/mud in the densest sections, particularly 5:36-6:29.

The track had the same lead from 5:37-6:53 and was melodically conservative, which is where the perception that it was too similar for much of this hit it; it was a weak way to close it, because it did drag out, and 6:28 would have been a perfect spot to at least change the lead, if not also vary the melody somehow.

That said, there were so many other things working in this track's favor as far as the creativity of the arrangement that there's no way I'd NO it off just those relatively minor issues. The arrangement was (overall) well varied in both textures and dynamics, and definitely stood apart from the original. Good ideas overall, Thomas, and I hope we hear more from you, bro.

YES

There are some off-key parts with the patterned synth sequences throughout the track (the synth in question first plays @ 1:18 ), which throws me a bit. It may very well a stylistic choice, so I can understand it from that perspective. I can hear the inspiration you've taken from some of the older Infected Mushroom tracks.

The arrangement is one of the stronger aspects of this track. The Kefka theme is adapted nicely to a 4 on the floor I liked the transition into strings and gradual transition into the electronic section at 4:57. One could argue that this track is a bit empty-sounding in the soundfield at times, but to me it brings me back to the techno style music we used to hear in the late 90's.

I will say, 5:37 did get pretty crowded to me and a bit messy, even for the style. The backing, atonal sequenced synths were too loud and start to overpower the melody. They could be brought down without losing the frenetic/chaotic feel you're going for.

Good stuff, and an interesting take on the iconic Kefka theme.

YES

This track is a bit of an oddball one for me. Source usage is noticeable. I like what you have done with the source tune, some nice original sections here.

There are a couple of reasons why I think this track is only just passable:

1. The track feels too long. Had there not been the level of variation here in the arrangement and change in textures I don't think I could have yes'd this. I think the source tune contributes to this as it's quite an odd tune in its own right. There were just enough sections to encourage me to keep listening for the full duration.

2. The mixing needs some work. In some areas the kick drum is almost lost in the mix, which is really something to avoid in electronica (especially in sections with a lot going on, like at 1:42 and 3:38 ). There were also some isolated parts of the track with clashes in the low end (the ending starting at 5:37 being probably the biggest offender). Had the mixing been like this the whole way though across all sections, I would have needed a resub.

The buzzsaw like distorted bass used throughout most of the song is an interesting choice but did become a little grating to me over time. I do like the sound of it, but it could stand to loose a few frequencies to make it play nice with the other elements around it.

I felt the speed up bit at 4:09 was more of an effect that an actual section, so it didn't bother me. I really like the strings at 4:24, very clear and fitting.

I'll give this a pass, but please consider some of the above points in future mixes.

YES (borderline)

Edited by Jivemaster