*NO* U.N. Squadron 'UNfriendly Skies'

Chimpazilla

I Noticed that this song wasn't on the list of Remixes, so i made one.

I wrote everything as faithfully as i could as far as the score goes, from memory alone, so it may not be exact.

But I Like it, and you guys might too! :P

Thanks for your time!

-----------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

This mix is loud. It's a waveform sausage and is hitting -8db RMS. It isn't distorting, though.

I find the writing to be pretty good, but with the instrumentation never changing it sounds pretty samey as it goes along. The instrumentation is pretty generic though. I love me some 303 bass but I can barely hear it as the lead timbre takes over the whole soundscape, smothering everything else including the drums. In the intro there is some silent-kick sidechaining which gives the lead saw some interest, but at 0:57 the sidechaining ends and the saw sounds super vanilla and super loud and also dry. The writing is pretty good so it's a shame that the saw is so loud and dominant. I like the little bits of glitching but I wish the sidechaining was still there, at least on the backing synth, and I'd like to hear the 303 bass.

Ok so I've said that I like the writing, but upon listening again carefully to the source, I can't make out any source in this remix whatsoever. Other judges, can you?

edit 4-20-15: Listening again with the correct source, ok so it's actually quite conservative after the long intro. My above production crits stand. The lead synth is SO loud, and so dry and a bit shrill, with zero modulation or interest added. Heck even a bit of delay would improve it. But it HAS to come down in volume. I'd really recommend you swap that lead sound out at some point for something different just to break it up. The writing ends up sounding really repetitive overall, especially since that loud saw never changes.

NO

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 2 weeks later...

Are we sure this is the correct source being cited? Is that all of the info from the sub letter? If so it's pretty sparse. The mixer did mention they weren't referencing the OST at all when creating the track, so it's possible that it's completely off the rails, but if we can get confirmation on the correct OST, that should keep us from possibly wasting our time here.

• 4 weeks later...

I corrected the source tune link in the original post. The submitting said in his subject line that the track was "Thunder Cloud," but that track name from the arcade soundtrack wasn't right. This fan-named track from the SNES score ("Thunderstorm Stealth Bomber & Wolfpack") is actually the right source.

Moving onto the arrangement, really weird phasing here throughout the intro that quickly wore out its welcome; way too long at 57 seconds. The phasing made the track feel like it had no direction until the main verse theme finally arrived at :57. All of the sequencing is very stiff. Moved into a super-straightforward DnB adaptation of the source with little melodic interpretation and an overcompressed soundscape. Rinse and repeat at 1:54 with another supporting line under it to add a little bit more, though it was difficult to actually hear that given how cramped the soundscape was. There's really not much beyond an intensity upgrade here.

2:52 repeated the intro again, this time changing up the beat pattern some, but leaving the same shrill, overcompressed synths. No variations on the leads though.

It's a decent cover, but there's not enough interpretation and expansion on the writing of the original VGM. The production was also super-cramped and crowded. There's likely too much to address here to get this to a passable state, but if you're interested in producing more interpretive arrangements, you'll have to employ more variation and personality into the arrangement, and the parts need room to breathe.

NO

What Larry said. His vote nailed all of the points I wanted to address with this track, the overly-compressed and loud mixdown makes this difficult to listen to from the onset. Past that, I'm just not finding much to latch onto with your interpretation. Everything plays pretty safe to the source and doesn't insert much personalization to the track other than the conversion to D&B. Some cool beats and glitching are present, but I don't think this is the level of interpretation we're looking for on OCR.

NO