*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'All Aboard the Disco Train'

Chimpazilla

This seems like a good start to a remix but it needs more in a couple of regards.  The arrangement is really simple, too simple, and quite repetitive.  There isn't that much going on in the source, lead melody-wise, but I can't see a reason to do the same in the remix.  There's no real lead in the remix until 1:25 (and this lead is too loud and dry), that's a missed opportunity imo.  There are some decent soundchoices here in the mix but many of the actual sounds used are very generic with very little effects or processing on them.  The drum loop in the intro is so dry and loud.  The main kick is mixed too loud and with too much lows taking up too much frequency room.  The one-note arp pattern that plays all through the song is very plain and never changes, bass is simple too.  I feel like the sidechaining is too heavy on the non-bass elements, especially the lead when it enters at 1:25.  Sidechaining a lead can be cool but it has to be done gently and appropriately.  More work to be done here, but I do think this is a good start.  Needs more variation and better mixing and sound design, also some kind of ending, as the track ends really abruptly.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Kris pretty much hit everything that I was going to say here. One extra thing to note is that there is a high pitched whine I can hear in headphones that is through most of not all of the track. The side chaining is definitely too heavy on the parts and is most noticeable on the solo at 1:25. I also agree that the mid right now suffers from being uninspired in terms of the melody and arrangement. I'd love to hear you expand on the themes and work to personalize the track more. I'll also point out that the sounds at 1:00 and 1:08 are strange and don't fit into the key signature.

You've got a start here, but there is a lot of work to go. Keep working on your mixing and your arranging.

No (resubmit)

SUPER-thin and rigid opening line to start, which didn't bode well for the rest, even though things filled out better around :14. Synth at :21 was too loud and almost piercing. The melody on bassline at :42 was getting swallowed up and didn't cut through to the foreground. Also hearing those wrong notes and wasn't sure how they got in there.

I disagree with Chimpazilla. I don't feel this is a good start yet, because there needs to be more substance and more care put into the production, otherwise, what's in place now really doesn't show strong development potential.

Very strange phasing effect at 1:24 due to the sidechaining (the same thing going on with the bassline, BTW) where the lead randomly gets pushed back and pulled forward. No real melodic development to speak of throughout, and the ending at 2:21 is abrupt and flatter than a pancake. Well, I mean, if you don't care to finish this, Micah, why should anyone else care? :lol: No hate here, but you've gotta not get sloppy on the smaller details.

Keep at it, but use the Workshop forums to get feedback, ask questions, and broaden your knowledge.

NO