*NO* Kirby Super Star 'Green Dreams'

Emunator

Source connection struck me as tenuous or more "inspired-by" until the 2nd half of the song, where things got really repetitive. But if nothing else, the artist definitely had some inspiration and ran with it, and the production isn't bad, so it deserves some feedback. ~ Emu

Hi there,

Remixer name: Darkehorse
email: 
userid: 7260

Game Arranged: Kirby Super Star
Name of Arrangement: Green Dreams
Song Arranged: Game Select (the corkboard menu song)
I believe this game has been remixed a ton already, composer info and archives appear to be on the site. But just to be safe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r0uwqULYsg

Comments:

This remix has been a long time coming, I'm really happy to say that after 12-13 years of listening to OCRs, I'm finally sending in one of my own.

When the Milky Way Wishes album was released, I was floored. Cover to cover it's just a blast to listen to, the song selection was great, the arrangements were great, but I found myself thinking it was a shame that nobody took on the game select music. Yeah, it's a pretty limited and repetitive track, but it's so fun and Kirby-esque. Or maybe I'm just weird for being so into menu music?

Either way, I decided that someone needed to take that menu music and put a dark, ominous twist on it, so that's what happened with this track. The fun, bouncy melody of the original has been replaced with brooding piano and bells, and eventually morphs into a free-for-all of rhythmic piano and a bouncy synth lead to complement the repetition of the main melody.

At first, the synth lead was pretty cut and dry, but I accidentally dropped a chorus effect on it, then figured it couldn't hurt to play around with it a little bit and I found that the sound I ended up making sort of felt like a Kirby choir group so I kept it that way.

This mix was a ton of fun to work on so I hope everyone enjoys it, and who knows, maybe people will consider it a spiritual addition to Milky Way Wishes one day :)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 4 weeks later...

RIght on he first listen I noticed the repetitiveness was a problem here.  both the first and second sections were based on a pretty repetitive pattern, with the addition of some elements over time, these additions however were spread out so the track didn't feel like it was changing much as it should.  The transition to the second section was a clashing contrast to the first section, which in my opinion worked better because of the subtler and somber approach to the interpretation.  The structure, being two separate sections with not much change or evolution, felt very rigid and the song got stale very quickly.

The drum sequencing in the second section was very repetitive as well, and the samples themselves were pretty simple and uninteresting.  I think it was a valiant effort to try to remix the original song but I think we need the track to be explored more with a more interesting structure and a more expressive approach to interpretation.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/08/06 - (1N) Kirby Super Star 'Green Dreams'

I definitely agree with Mike that the track is really repetitive to the paint that it's too much here. The original is so short I understand that there is little to work with, but the piano playing the same chords and other instruments relating with very little change makes it hard to stay focused. Something like an original section or some chord changes would d definitely help out. 

I'll also agree on the synth choice. The sound sounds very mechanical and the synths are a bit thin overall. If consider changing up for some more realistic samples and work on humanizing the parts. 

There's a lot of work to be done here. It's an interesting concept, but with do little source to work with you're going to really need to get creative to figure out how to expand the arrangement and keep things interesting. Good luck!

NO

The track is definitely repetitive, you might consider adding a second source to add interest to the arrangement.  You've used some interesting sounds, but the stiff sequencing is really distracting.  In the first half, the bell timbre has a ton of resonance, and everything is washed out with reverb.  The piano chords are so mechanical and there is something strange with the envelope on the sample.  When the piano arp comes in, the writing is such a simple arpeggiated pattern.  In the second half, there is a lot of harmonic dissonance between the pads and chords and leads.   I'm not a fan of the hard panning in the second half either, but that's my personal preference.   Drums are also very repetitive.

As Deia said, there's a lot of work to do here.  I recommend joining our wip forums if you haven't already.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/08/06 - (3N) Kirby Super Star 'Green Dreams'