*NO* EarthBound 'Thank You, Mr. Iwata'

djpretzel

Good, plucky stuff BUT structurally a little conservative... probably not a deal-breaker relative to the production/instrumentation changes... -djp

1) Remixer Name- Yoshiblade

2) D L

Forum ID) 52832

1) Game Being Arranged- Earthbound

2) Name Of Arrangement- Thank You, Mr. Iwata 

3) Name Of Arranged Song-  Boy Meets Girl

4) Original Composer- Hirokazu Tanaka

I wrote this for the Satoru Iwata album, but Earthbound was taken. I feel like Earthbound and Mr. Iwata are closely linked above all his other games. So I guess this is the next step. Thank You for the listen! 

Remix 

Original- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHxPpm00OqM

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Opened up in a tepid way, but we'll see where it goes. The texture at :33 felt empty despite the bass having big presense, potentially because the lead isn't upfront at all and the clap groove feels vanilla.

Structurally, I wish there was more going on with some melodic interpretation. More variation with the beats would help as well; Both 1:24 and 1:32 were opportunities to transition to something else with that groove and vary it up, and when it didn't happen, the overall energy of the track dragged on and felt repetitive.

Writing-wise, this needs more dynamic contrast and variation before the dropoff at 2:19. I liked the closing section though at 2:19, which had a cool, bubbly finish.

This feels like a WIP that's 70% there. It's a solid start, but this needs more substance, variation, and personalization. That said, Y-Blade's absolutely capable of getting it there.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/09/23 - (1N) EarthBound 'Thank You, Mr. Iwata'

I have to agree with everything Larry said, down to the missed opportunities to shake things up at 1:24.  I also think the leads are dry and mechanically performed.  There's really no subtlety in them and also no articulations.  The drums are very static throughout, and the fills that are introduced don't fit very well (1:31).  I think the last section starting at 2:22 that eased into the ending was the highlight of the arrangement.

There are some good elements but the leads need to be infused with some soul, and the structure needs to be more focused and interesting; right now it's too static, with the same energy levels throughout.  

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/09/23 - (2N) EarthBound 'Thank You, Mr. Iwata'

Not a bad mix. I like the sounds you have used here and the light hearted nature of the track. My collection of thoughts on this mix are below:

• Enjoyed the plucky intro.
  • I like the instrument choices you have made here soundscape wise, the sounds are complementary to each other and seem to fit together well.
  • As an exception to the above I think the bass is too rumbly/strong when it comes in at 0:38, it overpowers the soundscape, and takes more of a front row seat than your leads. It should be dialled back a little and if possible, I'd recommend some of the boom of the sub portion be tapered off/reduced.
  • Arrangement wise, things really needed a change up up by 1:50 but the same progression was continued. I would've liked to hear a bit more creative variation in the arrangement. Conversely the outro portion at 2:24 was very nice and could've perhaps happened earlier.
  • Drum sequencing was quite static and didn't change too much. I didn't mind the sounds you used for these for the most part.

As the others have mentioned, I think this could do with some more work in arrangement creativity, and some mixing tweaks. Looking forward to a resub.

NO