*NO* Top Gear 'Las Vegas (tsr Mix)'

djpretzel

Suffers from repetition, but has some good energy. - djp

• top gear (snes)
  • top gear - las vegas (tsr remix)
  • las vegas
  • barry leitch, hiroyuki masuno
  • http://ocremix.org/game/144/top-gear-snes
  • When we work on set, we usually hum this song during rigging of lights. So now finally a remix is here to maybe listen to instead of terrible humming.
mp3 is attached

Over´n out!

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The arrangement is too close to the original in both composition and structure, this is more of a cover than an actual remix.  I didn't hear any new additions or variations of the original theme so this needs much more interpretation than what is presented.

The sound design isn't bad but it's not great either, some of the tones don't mesh well with the mix, i.e. the low synth at 0:16.  The drums seem awfully dry, and don't fit the mix very well. For a Dance-type of track they don't sound very electronic, more like a hybrid of acoustic and electronic drums.  The kick was very flat and I felt the Bass lacked the presence and drive this type of remix needs.  The ending is very abrupt.

Overall production could use more work in the issues presented above but it definitely needs much more on the arrangement side to pass and it's a much bigger dealbreaker.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/09/30 - (1N) Top Gear 'las vegas (tsr mix)'

I didn't have anything to add on what Sir_NutS said. I'm very familiar with this theme, and he's right that there were no changes to the structure or tempo, and the tone is basically the same as the original with an upgraded palette of sounds. There's also little in the way of variation.

I didn't have any meaningful issues with the production and mixing; NutS is right that the beats and bass lacked presence, but it's not as if those issues would have held back an otherwise strong & creative arrangement, so it wasn't a big deal to me.

It's an excellent cover, but it's not interpretive enough for the standards here. Cool stuff, Fredrik; if you have something more interpretive and varied to submit, definitely send it our way.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/09/30 - (2N) Top Gear 'Las Vegas (tsr Mix)'

I'll pretty much cosign with my fellow judges here.  The writing is much too similar to the source material.  The synths sound pretty generic, as Mike said the sound design isn't bad but also isn't great.  Everything sounds very dry.  The kick sounds flat but also too thick, as if the sample has too long of a tail, it goes on too long after each hit, taking up a lot of sonic space unnecessarily in your mix.  The arrangement is the bigger deal though, we need more interpretation than what's here.  

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/09/30 - (3N) Top Gear 'Las Vegas (tsr Mix)'