*NO* Golden Sun: The Lost Age 'Alchemica'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer name: Synapsii
email address: 

Game: Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Arrangement Title: "Alchemica"
Source Title: "Walking Forward With Determination" (Overworld Theme #2)

Comments:
I took a look at the MIDI rip of this piece to get a feel for the kinds of arpeggios and chord progressions being used (I don't have a good ear for that kind of stuff) and wrote a slow intro that would lead into the more "epic" feel of the source tune.  I think the strong ending in particular is quite nice--hope you guys think so too!

The main melody from the source is mixed between the flute and violin section.  A secondary motif that I use throughout the piece can be heard in the flute at 0:34.  The instruments used are, in order of appearance, piano/cello (0:00), violin (0:16), flute (0:30), oboe (1:01), french horn (1:10).

The flute soundfont I used has a bit of extra scratchiness to it, but I liked that because it's a bit closer to the pan flute that's used in a lot of Golden Sun tracks.

0:00 - 1:04 original composition
1:04 - 1:11 varied source melody
1:11 - 1:19 source melody
1:19 - 1:34 source melody w/ varied chord progression
1:34 - 1:50 original composition using secondary motif
1:50 - 2:21 source melody
2:21 - 2:36 mostly original composition
2:36 - 3:07 mostly original composition, flute continues to play something similar to the source
3:07 - 3:16 quiet outro

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The words "midi rip" caused me concern, but once this tune gets going I feel like the personalization is enough.  The sequencing of all the instruments is generally stiff.  The long whole bass notes aren't always supporting the other writing as well as they could.  Quite a bit of this mix sounds pretty random to me, with lots of elements competing for lead position.  I am not sure yet on this one.

edit 6/8/16:  Listening again.  The other two Js have given some good advice, and I agree you should hit up our wip forum for further help with production.  

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/11/23 - (1?) Golden Sun: The Lost Age 'Alchemica'
  • 3 weeks later...

Listened to this one a couple times. I think the arrangement has plenty of personalization. Starting with a midi file is perfectly fine, and you did plenty to add your own soon to the source.

As Kris mentioned, it's noticeable right away that the parts are very stiff, and the mechanical-ness of the track overall takes a lot of the emotion or of it. Similarly, there isn't much in the way of dynamic variation, and that could a lot to the build and falls off the track. I'd love you too take this I've and really work on humanizing the performances. 

I think the arrangement is fine, it's the production that is holding this back. Hit up our WIP boards to get done more advice, hope to hear this again soon!

NO (resubmit)

In general the main issue with this song is humanization, although sample quality isn't the greatest and is certainly not helping much.  There are other things to look at to better your craft as well.  The mix here wasn't ideal, as it never feels as a full orchestra is playing your arrangement, but rather it feels as a collection of unrelated instruments.  Giving your instruments their own space in the mix and making sure they sit well is something very important in these kind of adaptations.  You should try to achieve a mental image of an orchestra playing your arrangement to the listener.  Right now, your piano could be less upfront, and the instruments feel overly dry and separated, and the performances feel mechanical specially on the arpeggios and staccato melodies.  The flute sample is the worst offender when it comes to quality in my opinion, and I think you'll be best served by switching it for a different one instead of trying to make it better via humanization/mix balancing.  The other instruments could be made more fitting with more work put into these aspects, but I don't know to what lenght.

Your arrangement is interpretative and flows well, although some of the busy parts felt a bit aimless, partly because of what Kris mentioned about instruments competing with each other to be the lead, but also the arrangement itself which clashed one instrument against another in a flurry of notes, though as I said this is something I found to happen in the busy sections, in the other, more relaxed parts, the dynamics flowed better.

Overall this needs quite a bit of work, but I'll be glad to re-examine it if you feel inclined to take it to a higher level.

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/11/23 - (2N/1?) Golden Sun: The Lost Age 'Alchemica'
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Golden Sun: The Lost Age 'Alchemica'
  • Liontamer locked this topic