OCR01519 - *YES* Donkey Kong Land 'Revisiting the Ruins' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61494

Revisiting the Ruins

(You can leave the link to my site if you want; I've got it posted there. This particular file has all the OCR tags on it.

Here is my resubmission (kind of) for my previous attempt at this tune. Most of this was completed in feb/mar of this year. It's Latin/techno pop, and I hope you like it. I'd be more than willing to adjust any of the levels if it be desired.

Here is the gbs file: http://www.zophar.net/gbs/dkland.zip

Tracks covered: # 6: Underwater Ruins theme. I wish I knew whether Dave Wise or Greame Norgate composed this. It's got some similarities to Aquatic Ambiance (which is also on this soundtrack, btw).

remixer info:

real name / remixer name: Patrick Burns

email: burns212@gmail.com

userid: 21406 (I just copied that # at the end of my profile url)

-Patrick Burns

attn: DJP. My forum account has been locked for a while. I changed my email address a while back and it never sent me a reactivation letter (php debug error, could not send email type thing). help please

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/dkland.zip - Track 6

Been a fan of this track, or at least what can be done with it, even since I heard PxFury's "Flash Flooded" over at VGMix. You still have this really cool old-school OCR vibe with the electronic sounds chosen. It's shown in your previous subs and continues to show here.

Opening synth felt a lil' flat, but was pretty cool; nice usage of the bird SFX as well. Tasteful use of percussion and pads to beef this up at :15 before moving into some swanky bass, beats and geetar at :31. And you transitioned to it with a TASTEFUL cymbal swell the blended into the pads as it faded down. Hahaha, you be on fiah!

The modulation going on with the lead synth at 1:02 was a little out of place for my personal taste, but no big deal there, plus it provided some contrast before and after the guitar verses. Sounds were balanced pretty nicely on the whole.

Xylo/vibes/wuteva-type percussion fading in at 1:41 ultimately got too loud IMO around the 1:53 mark and could have been pulled back a little. Ha, a little cheesy SFX at 2:02 with the splash, though I loved how the sound changed to reflect how your hearing would change in the water. Sounds completely sampled, but you might surprise me later.

Decent changeup in style at 2:08 focusing on the mallet percussion providing the arrangement. The overall production was a bit too pristine; something that sounded less clean and more spacious would have been stronger, as the lead sounded really loud and piercing. Nonetheless, the arrangement here was swanky and sweet with loads of energy and flair.

Use of the water SFX, ultimately coming out of the water at 3:23 was a nice idea, though it doesn't quite fit the theme of the track in the big picture. If you integrated a watery atmosphere into the track more prominently, say in how the sounds were processed from section to section, the SFX usage would have connected better. For example, the first section would be pretty clean-sounding, the second section after the SFX falling into the water at 2:02 would sound murkier, then the third after 3:23 would be clean again for the close. It sounds like you "kind of" went there with that idea, but the production differences from section to section seemed negligible. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Good ideas at 3:24, although the way the guitar note faded out completely at 3:30 only for the music to come back loudly at 3:32 was a bit abrupt. Don't fade that guitar note at 3:30 down as drastically so that the ending flows a bit better.

I love how you altered the rhythms and progressions of the source here. Though I thought the drums were a bit bland, you placed them in the back nicely during the fuller sections. The bass writing/arranging was also notably well done.

All things said, I think the production was a bit too trebly and squeaky clean, and the theme seemingly established with the water SFX wasn't followed through all the way. But the arrangement here was all sorts of fun. Very creative, very unique, and an enjoyable ride. Your future subs may be hit or miss, but it's obvious your skills have been improving steadily. Keep up the progress, Patrick, and continue improving! Welcome!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, I remember this one. I was digging the first sub, and this is definitely an improvement. VERY smooth sound overall. The interpretive factor is certainly here now for sure. My only real complaint would be the drums used. The really electronic kick/snare don't work for me at all. An acoustic set would have fit much more, I think, but since that's more of a subjective thing, I won't let it affect my decision. Pro job on everything else.

YES

Looking forward to hearing this on WJJZ, Philadelphia's Smooth Jazz station. ;)