Ludomusicology Wikipedia article?

I am not actually the right person to do this -- at least not without informing the people who own ludomusicology.org.  I know them well though and will reach out today -- that's a good idea.

Edit:  This is now in process over at the Ludomusicology Facebook group.  Everyone thinks it's a good idea, but I'm not sure any of us has experience as a Wikipedia editor...

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, BarnabasSmith said:

Hi, I'm a ludomusicologist based in Australia but have both attended and presented at the Ludomusicology Research Group conferences - do you know if this is still being addressed @BardicKnowledge ? I regularly keep in touch with both the organisers of the conference and delegates and could take this on

Feel free to jump on top of it!  I got far too busy with finishing my dissertation to take any real action on it, sadly.  Might be a good idea to send Tim, Michiel, etc. a draft version before you publish, but you probably wouldn't have to.

P.S.  I know one ludomusicologist based in Australia -- at the University of Sydney.  There's also a film scholar there, both of whom are worth your time to meet...add me on Facebook and I'll put you in touch! 

• 4 months later...

The "Ludomusicology" page got rolled into the "Video game music" page and combined with the "Video game music education" section. I separated it out into an "Academic study" section on that page, and added some details... I'd forgotten about this post :P it's a start anyway

On further investigation it looks as though the "Ludomusicology" page was merged into "Video game music" by a new page reviewer, because the page quality wasn't great (minimal referencing, un-encyclopaedic language, etc.). Should be entirely possible to set it up again, or a dedicated "Video game music studies" page (not that I really want to get into that particular terminology debate), as long as the quality is good enough. Which would require a concerted effort. I'm learning a bit about wiki editing (sometimes it's just too hard to let bad grammar slide) so I'm happy to help. Think I'll put a post over on SSSMG as well.

Great, I noticed someone has fixed the erroneous detail claiming that Roger Moseley first coined the term ludomusicology - when in fact it was Guillaume Laroche.

I wonder if 'Academic Study' is too broad. Technically, wouldn't studying an undergraduate degree or minor or something in video game composition, at University, be academic too? Perhaps in some way using the philosophy aspect of ludomusicology might be useful?

The person who merged the "Ludomusicology" article into "Video game music" agreed about studying coursework, and merged it all into a section on "Video game music education", but with the title "Academic study". I disagree with that - I think education and research are sufficiently separate (though obviously related) activities - so I separated them. I kept the "Academic study" section title to keep the redirect from "Ludomusicology" intact, and specified "research" in the first sentence to try to make the distinction clear. The section title can (and probably should be) changed. However, if the page is split out again, it's kind of moot. I've started working on a restored/updated "Ludomusicology" page, and I'll post deets over on SSSMG later (it's on my personal sandbox but can be edited by anyone, so I don't want to post the link publicly).

If you do recreate the Ludomusicology page, you can always go into the Video Game Music Academic Study section and add a callback to Ludomusicology (that's probably not what it's called, but whatever) and have the section say "part of this has been pulled from the Ludomusicology article."

Don't know how that's done, but I've seen it a few times, and you can probably get away with it if the Ludomusicology article is high-quality enough.

That's the plan! I'm using what's in the "Video game music" page to re-create the "Ludomusicology" page, so I think the "Academic study" section will need to be re-written as a broad summary (I don't think Wikipedia likes stuff being copied, even in those circumstances). I think it's pretty easy to set up once the page is restored, from what I can see.

2 hours ago, BardicKnowledge said:

@Liontamer You should be aware that this is nearing completion -- I'll be sure to link when it goes public.  If you'd like a link to the draft page, I'm happy to PM you one.

Yeah, sure, I'll take a PM whenever. Otherwise, we'll see the page when it's live; as long as it's thoroughly sourced from notable sources, it shouldn't get bahleeted. :-) 

• 5 months later...