*NO* Friday the 13th 'Friday the 13th Medley'

Chimpazilla

Hello! I have completed a fully orchestral medley of Friday the 13th for NES. It includes pieces from the Intro, Cabin theme, and outdoor theme. I would love for it to be an official OCRemix release.

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Friday the 13th (NES)
  • Name of arrangement: "Friday the 13th Medley" (Can be changed if needed)
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged Main Theme, Cabin Theme, Athletic (outdoor) Theme
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) I composed this over a two-week period. I remember this game fondly, and decided to play-through it quickly one day. Upon playing, I decided that I should probably do a remix!
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6anw1EUpN0

• Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
I love the haunting theme, and thought I could make it even more chilling by putting an orchestra to work. It ended up sounding exactly how I wanted it to. I used multiple custom VST instruments. I can go into a lot of detail if needed :)

I'm considering making this into a series (depending on how well-received it is), so it would be great to have this as an official release and to get some feedback from the OCRemix community.

I hope that you enjoy, and I also hope that this meets all criteria!

Please let me know if you have any questions!

-Timothy William

I was expecting a medley but this is a pretty straightforward remix of the main theme.  The string sequencing sounds good, and well enough humanized.  I feel like the soundscape is pretty thin most of the time, consisting of only two or maybe three layers of staccato strings at any one time, with only occasional bass padding;  there are areas I feel could use more padding or some other element.  My biggest issue with this track is the many copy pastas, the same patterns repeat again and again.  This is almost funny to me as I was expecting a medley which should have very little repetition!  I suggest adding pad layers or other instruments, maybe some sort of solo over some part, or something else to break up the repetitive patterns.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/05/02 - (1N) Friday the 13th 'Friday the 13th Medley'
  • 2 weeks later...

Hahaha! Yeah, I don't get why this was called a medley, when that's not the structure of this at all. From 2:22-2:49, you had the Side View Screen theme on top of the core Interior Screen theme, but that's about the only time anything major was going on other than the Interior Screen theme. This ain't a medley, so don't call it one. :-)

Anyway, ignoring harping on specific words, Chimpazilla's right that there wasn't much variation or development of this arrangement once you heard the first iteration of the theme. She's also correct that there needed to be additional substance to the writing, as these textures were relatively basic. I liked the backing organ/string writing behind the theme as an expansive element, but other than that there was very little interpretation beyond adapting the theme to this instrument set.

I also agreed with her that this doesn't sound bad in terms of the sample quality and overall mixing/production. I felt some of the higher bowed string sequencing sounded too stiff, but it was nothing that drew out a pointed criticism with a timestamp, just a feeling that the overall sound had some (relatively minor) hitches with timing/realism.

Decent initial take, Timothy, but there needs to be more variation and dynamic contrast within the arrangement. It's not enough to repeat the Interior Screen theme this many times w/o any meaningful differences; take the writing/arrangement in some other logical directions.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/05/02 - (2N) Friday the 13th 'Friday the 13th Medley'

Mmm, it feels like a cop-out, but I'm 100% with Chimp and Larry on this one. Odd that this is called a medley, but the biggest issue this one holds is its repetitive nature. Using a looping theme like this, while great for a console, doesn't do too great when it comes to creating an arrangement of a source. If you're going to stick with the same format as you have here, at the very least be sure to bring some new ideas with each repetition, or go over the same territory with something changed or different about it. Direct (or near direct) repetition isn't the way to go, here.

I'm not feeling the soundscape is too empty here, but I do feel not enough is done with what you have here to keep the listener engaged. This really links back to the repetition issue from earlier, though - things are uninteresting because after the first cycle it's all stuff that the listeners have heard before. I think few instruments can work, but you need to use those instruments in a different manner from time to time to realy get the most out of them. The strings playing that arpeggio, for example, sounds cool for a while, but it either needs another instrument to cover that part from time to time, or it needs to drop altogether in order for the strings to do something different.

The humanization is pretty interesting in this one. It's well done, but due to how many elements repeat in this track, you can hear when the lines were copy/pasted. Your humanization is pretty solid, but you can tell when something is a repeat of prior material due to the same humanization techniques being copied with it.

Yeah, the copy/pasting of this arrangement is really the weakest element of this track. This is a great start, though - the humanization is solid, and you've covered the source quite well. I think there's some more development and variety that's needed in this arrangement before I can pass it, though.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Friday the 13th 'Friday the 13th Medley'
  • Liontamer locked this topic