*NO* Mario Kart 64 'Speed Racers'

Gario

• Your ReMixer name - EOX
• Your real name        - Anders Enger Jensen (Duh)
• Your email address - 
• Your website           - www.eox.no
• Your userid              - 23479

Hei ,

Anders Enger Jensen <> har sendt deg 1 filer (9,66 MB) med Filemail!!

Hi

I'd like to submit this latest creation. I've been thinking about doing my approach on the ending credit theme from Mario Kart 64 for the last two decades, and finally got around to do something about it lately. All selfmade with recorded samples from the original game. 

All music is CC-SA-NC restricted.

Best regards

Anders Enger Jensen
EOX Studios

Web: www.eox.no
e-mail: 
Phone: 

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Mmm, those are some very warm, tasty synths throughout this track. They're a hint vanilla, but they are very well used, with some great lead work throughout. The production is exceptionally clean, and the arrangement has a lot of fun with the credits theme (with the starman theme thrown in, for good measure.

One thing that's really annoying is the use of SFX throughout. I'm normally a huge fan of said SFX, but they're haphazardly placed in this track. It's especially problematic in the beginning when there's a vocal clip for nearly every measure, which is incredibly distracting. When the music is allowed to speak for itself it's really great, but those vocal clips are very distracting when they come at you one after another.

Under that it's a great track, so I think I can pass this under the condition that you decrease the arbitrary number of vocal clips sprayed throughout. A few here and there are great, but too many just drowns an otherwise fun track.

EDIT: I think Chimpzilla has a point in removing the clips is a little more work than I give credit for. I'll give the arranger my feedback regardless and see if he can give us a quick fix on this, but there's no need to have my vote hold up the process.

NO

In addition to the main source, this uses the invincibility theme at 2:53-3:17, and the victory fanfare right after.  The transitions at 2:53 and 3:19 are really abrupt; the intention was clearly to make this sound sort of like gameplay audio, but the result is very medley-ish.  I think this would have been much stronger with that whole section simply cut out.

I agree that the use of vocal clips and other SFX is a little on the excessive side, but I wouldn't say they're used "haphazardly," as in the sections where they're used, their frequency of use is consistent (one per 4 measures in one section, one per 16 measures in another, etc).

In general, the arrangement is pretty good and the production is fine, but I have severe reservations about that starman section.  It effectively divides the song into three sections, where there's nothing but SFX by way of transition and no continuity between the second section and the other two except in some of the instrumentation.  To me, this seems like two songs stuck together, which would make this a

NO (resubmit)

Even I am going to say there are too many sfx and vocal clips, and I'm a HUGE fan of game sfx and vocal clips.  Many of the sfx are also too loud.  Way too many in here, gotta take at least half of them out, and make the rest of them count, throw one in right before a big change, along with a noise sweep or something, and give us a break in between.  Other than that I think the track is very good.  The saw lead could use a little filter movement or something, not a dealbreaker but that would give it some more expressiveness especially on the longer notes.   I like the starman interlude a lot, such fun soloing! The transitions into and out of starman are a little abrupt but I'm fine with it.  It's a fun track, pretty easy pass without so many vocal clips and sfx.  I guess I'm with Gario here, but since there are so many sfx I don't think conditional is a good way to go, as conditional is for super quickie fixes, and you should take your time rethinking the sfx in this track.

NO (borderline, remove some vocal clips and sfx, and resubmit please)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/03/17 - (1C/2N) Mario Kart 64 'Speed Racers'
  • Liontamer locked this topic