*NO* Super Street Fighter 2 'Fei Long Is Back'

Gario

ReMixer name    : Pixel Boy
real name       : X
email address   : 
website         : http://pixel.is.free.fr/
userid profile  : 34449

Name of game arranged : Super Street fighter II (CSP-2)
Name of arrangement   : Fei long is back
Name of song arranged : Fei Long theme

Link to my remix      : 

link of original song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy6Du1z_S6o

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I like the production of each and every individual element of this track - the drums are meaty and the synths are crisp. The arrangement reinterprets the source sufficiently, to boot, which helps.

The track spends a great deal of time building up to the theme (0:00 - 1:38). Rarely is there an individual element that sounds out of place (the side chained synth at 0:28 being an exception - it sounds out of place against your crisp synths), but that build up repeats the same harmonic pattern over and over again, leaving the listener only texture changes throughout to keep things interesting. I've heard songs where the ONLY thing that's different are texture changes over time, which can be interesting in their own right, but as an extended intro it all feels like padding to the meat that comes in at 1:38. 2:39 to the end of the track also suffers from this issue - all texture over the same harmonic pattern, so it eventually sounds like repetitive and tired padding by the time the song ends.

The mixing, while a lesser issue, does strike me as inconsistent. The bass that comes in periodically (0:14) and the guitar (0:57) are mixed too more to the front of the mix at the cost of your other elements, which makes it difficult to follow everything. Again, the individual elements sound pretty crisp, but they all sound like they're in the wrong place in the mix, either being hidden behind the loud elements, or being one of the aforementioned loud elements. Balancing the mixing of this would make this a much easier listening experience.

I enjoyed the sound of this track, but I am not feeling the arrangement of this one. It stays on the same idea for very long stretches of time, which makes this sound repetitive (even though, yes, there are texture changes). Utilize the theme and harmonies from other parts of the source to break up your building textural ideas and I think you could makes something really cool out of this, but for now I'm not feeling it.

NO

I'll echo Gario's thoughts, for the most part.  The thin soundscape and minor, additive changes make nearly the entire track sound like a build-up, but then instead of reaching a climax and bringing the main theme in, it either keeps dragging on or drops elements into more of a breakdown section.  The one time it does break into the main melody, it's just a single melodic line added, with no change of energy, and doesn't at all live up to the build-up.

In another genre, trance for instance, this type of progression might have worked well.  As it is, it's just unsatisfying.  Gario's details about how you might have arranged this in a more enjoyable manner are spot-on, so I'll just refer you to his comments above.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/04/02 - (2N) Super Street Fighter 2 'Fei Long Is Back'

Clear production quality here, your parts are easily heard. Bass is quite fat. Things sound a bit dry and could do with some reverb. Guitars are quite fake. Kick hits hard. Your lead during the main theme doesn't have the most enjoyable distortion tone, it feels a bit grating and could do with being smoother.

As the track progresses problems are exposed throughout the arrangement. Most elements are running on repeated loops that are dropped in and out. The parts on their own are not bad but in total do not cohesively form a track, with the sound space left feeling sparse despite what you have playing.

Gario put it best when saying the track feels like a big build up. There's some meat in the middle eventually, but the progression is somewhat anticlimactic with not much added in to form the "chorus" portion of the track. This ends fairly quickly with everything proceeding to build up again without any real conclusion. Have a rethink about your arrangement here.

NO