OCR01604 - *YES* Final Fantasy 6 'Locke's Theme for Brass Quintet'

Liontamer

Hello. I'm writing to submit an arrangement/remix of mine called "Locke's Theme for Brass Quintet." This--as the title indicates--is an arrangement of "Locke's Theme" from Final Fantasy 6 for a brass quintet consisting of 2 trumpets, french horn, trombone and tuba.

ReMixer name: Vampire Hunter Dan

email address: vhd@comporium.net (please change this on OCR from vhd@look.ca if you get the chance)

Thanks for listening.

-Dan

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "Locke" (ff6-104.spc)

The sampled brass was a bit fakey, making the intro in particular feel a bit thin rather than simply delicate. But things picked up really nicely at :43 and quickly escalated further at :52. The writing and instrument articulation felt very strong the whole way through, easily marginalizing any issues of the samples (which were fine to begin with, IMO). The melody's treated conservatively overall, but there's tons of personalization in the delivery, altering the rhythms & timing, as well as tons of original supplementary writing. The ending felt too sudden and wasn't powerful; not the musical climax I'd expected. Regardless, solid work per Dan's usual. Keep it up, man! Good to see a steady flow of submissions from you.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

sequenced brass is the bane of the world, i know - but come on, this ain't that bad! i just listened to some of the fakest brass you can possibly have about two songs before this one and honestly, this is alright.

arrangement is on point. it does not venture too far as it does not really need to. afterall this is now being performed as a brass quintent and that's really all the validation it needs as far as that. i think the original parts are very intelligently incorporated into the main body. very nice work on smoothing out the whole thing to being so coherent

the ending is not so abrupt really - its perfect. the build up is moving, the climax is a couple of brass hits and the fade is classic.

bada bing

badaYES

Cool stuff. Honestly, I have heard very few submissions that were written and sequenced for small instrumental ensembles that actually sound GOOD, but this does. Sequenced brass is really tough to pull off without sounding goofy and I think VHDan nailed as best as one can. Of course, it almost goes without saying that the arrangement is great, as I've come to expect from VHDan. It's refreshing to hear an orchestral ReMix in a style like this. Great job!

YES

Superior writing. You need to get this recorded by a real brass quintet someday. Do you play a brass instrument?

Impressive sequencing on the brass samples, and though there are moments where those samples approach reality, I was still thinking "synthetic" the whole time, which was a pretty frustrating experience.

Hell, I'll donate money if thats what it takes to get this done live. Nice work VHD.

YES

ps - I hope all you fanboys who have historically lamented the lack of Locke remixes are satisfied. Also, alliteration ftw.