OCR01588 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Breaking the Ice' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8867

Your ReMixer name: Digital Element (formerly Section 3 Studios)

Your real name: Maurice Willems and Sanjay Sampatsing.

Your email address: NemesisTheory@gmail.com

Your website: N/A

Your userid: I forgot (still).

Name of game(s) ReMixed: Sonic 3

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Ice Cap Zone

Your own comments about the mix :

Hey! Resubmitting time. =D We've listened to your comments and tried to recreate what we've tried to do in Polar Groove, only with a lot more smoosh and woosh this time around. ;p In other words, tried to combine both sides of the fence into one whole package. Hopefully this will be, in your eyes, better than Polar Groove. If not, we'll be back at the drawing boards once more!

Formerly known as Polar Groove, now known as Breaking the Ice. Has a better ring to it. ;o

Hope you'll enjoy.

Additional suggestion: Pump up the volume... again!

Dang, this is like a totally different submission of the same tune, rather than a tweaked version for resub.

At any rate, this kicks ass. I kind of miss the chill section that the prior version had, but all in all, there's some incredible electrosynth stuff going on, and the underlying horns are a nice touch. Great attention payed to stereo separation. Drum sequencing is pretty tight, and there's a lot of energy in this track. No gripes in terms of production, and arrangement is on point as well. I didn't find any of it to be too repetitive, and it's got just the right amounts of liberal and literal interpretation to come out with the perfect OCR-esque quality IMHO.

Definitely a solid YES

Ok this better be good...

This is a completely different take on the theme as bgc said. Nice synth and strings work, all of the elements blend nicely here, whilst still proving a lot of energy. The horn and strings part kinda reminds me of 'finished symphony' from the ssx tricky soundtrack.

YES

Thank you for resubmitting! Mainly people don't and it's really unfortunate, because a lot of the time the mixes were close to begin with. Anyway, I'm really liking what was done here - as BGC and Malcos pointed out this is practically a new mix, but the feel and general structure seems to be like your original sub. Mixing/mastering is much better on the whole. However the piano at 1:16 is really low in terms of volume, and gets drowned out by everything else easily. Also, the low strings/brass are pretty muddy. Meanwhile at 1:46 the arpeggiated synth should be highpassed so it doesn't take up so much low end. Lastly you could probably layer up the drums more later on to make the mix "climax" more. So... not flawless in terms of production, but the big problems I had have been fixed. Just keep these things in mind for future mixes.

Arrangement is great. Good variations and personalization. The breakdown at 2:19 is a nice change, and I really like the synth at 2:31 especially. I guess my only complaint here is that it feels as though the outtro is a little long, considering there wasn't a lot of energy before it.. in other words, the sense of momentum overall is somewhat lost.

All things considered, this is an excellent example of refining a borderline mix with judge critique in mind. You significantly beefed up the production, focused the arrangement, extended the ending, and ultimately brought the mix above our bar.

YES

DO A REAL VOTE, JIZZYJON!

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - IceCap Zone 1

Wasn't feeling the stiffness of the piano to open things up, but the overall textures were good. Not sure why the string pad was so buried in the back from :46-1:16, as it barely filled the background at all. The beatwork pattern (1:16-2:13, 2:47-3:43) was initially cool, but got very repetitive and ended up dragging things down. Changeup at 2:15 was welcome, but the bowed string phrase leading to the transition sounded dynamically flat and had no power behind it. The production lacked sophisitication for the most part.

The overall mixing here cames off flat in a lot of places. zircon had a lot of good suggestions to address those issues. Things sounded noticeable lossy with this encoding; why not bump up the bitrate? As underwhelmed as I was by the production though, the arrangement was nonetheless a lot stronger through more interpretation and development of the source material. At the end of the day, it's solid enough to get by.

YES