OCR02294 - Boktai "The Darkness Fears Light, and We Fear the Darkness"

djpretzel

Wow, I really love this! You put a ton of attention and care into this, and it shows. It's a great change of pace from much of OCR, and I'm quite glad to have something else great to listen to. There were some really nice, delicate moments that really sell this, and the loud parts take it home. Great work, please do some more!

Yay! Namedrop in the mixpost!

You already know I love this, and ya'll should look into both the games and the soundtrack.

What djp forgot to mention about these games is that they're the brainchild of Hideo Kojima, whose other darling series just recently got a mix added to its roster.

And they link up to the latter Battle Network games too, with crossover events in 4, 5, and the Japanese version of 6 (removed during localization since Boktai 3 wasn't released in America.)

Ahem. yeah, great track... :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, I remember this from the FBRC that year :) I also managed to keep a hold onto this newer version too since its release during a trip to Torquay earlier this year.

Taking into consideration the lack of familiarity of the game, you've managed to actually do well in taking the theme apart and giving it a more sinister approach to what's been handled. The brass to me feels rather lush and expressive, especially when going towards several of the dynamic shifts between themes, and really showed off their mellow side at the 2:40 mark too; that's some nice humanisation work done for them.

It's a shame the same couldn't really be done with the strings; to me they seemed to feel more 'constant' and less worked with. Real instrument humanisation is extremely difficult and that's something that a lot of arrangers struggle with in spite of style, but with what had come through you've managed to show a lot of potential even going across the other instruments in the field.

So basically, you made Mirby a very happy girl by making this track a worthwhile debut for OCR and fulfiling a part of her mixing wishlist, and I also felt greatful that something like this ended up coming through as a debut. I'm all in anticipation for where you're going next, so nice work Peter :)

This mix is my introduction to Moseph - it surprised me quite greatly when I first heard this. It's grand and sounds like a harbinger to a battle. The progression of the mix is wonderful, I love how it moves towards a middle section that brings a sad mood into the equation and then back to the original atmosphere. This is a great example of a mix that takes you through emotions and it captivates me greatly.

Wow. I don't know how I missed this when it first got posted, but as a big fan of orchestral arrangements, all I have to say is... hot damn. A truly epic track, that does an excellent job of conveying emotion and moving from section to section. I can definitely second the statement in the write-up that it makes you think of the soundtrack to a major, ancient period piece. The brass, in particular, felt written extremely well. Big thumbs up Moseph - :nicework:.

Grand orchestral booming bass. It does have a kind of Rome/military march feel to it and you can really feel the power coming off of it. It's got a lot of dynamics in it that gives it more scope, and I like it. The very beginning kinda sounded a little sinister to me, but whether or not it was supposed to, it sounded great, and so did the ending. Well done.

• 3 weeks later...

The dynamics in this ReMix are what captivate me the most.

It's incredibly moving and quite frightening in places. If there was a Boktai film, this would be in it. :razz:

at 4:30-ish, it just goes full throttle and cuts you down to size! Absolutely fantastic.

I'm glad enough that anyone actually covered Boktai. Let alone make it an excellent mix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02294 - Boktai "The Darkness Fears Light, and We Fear the Darkness"