Mixing violin

Hello, everyone. I was wondering if anybody here knows anything about mixing a violin?

Basically, I started making a song, but I'm not sure if the violin fits in correctly. Is there anything I should or could do when mixing to make it better?

This is probably a very vague question, but even if you can't answer, some general mixing tips is always nice...

https://soundcloud.com/omegametroid93/melancholia

In case you don't wanna listen to the other stuff, the violin comes in at around 1 minute into the song.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

For panning, I usually arrange my orchestra instruments as they would appear in a real orchestra - violins to the far left. But since your violin is having a single, awesomely-played solo, it should probably stay right in the middle. What you could do though, is pan all the other string doing just chords to the right and left around your piano and violin.

Edited by Slimy

The violin sound you have going on right now is a bit cramped and nasal, which gives it an almost harmonica-like timbre in some places. Have you done any EQing on it yet? You might try cutting in the 1-3 kHz range to reduce some of the harshness and boosting a bit below that (maybe 600 Hz) to increase body. Boosting with a high shelf above maybe 5 kHz might help bring the overtones out a bit, which may give it a bit more sparkle. I think it would also benefit from a wider, wetter reverb.

How did you record this? I ask because it sounds like a close mic in a very small space, which, if it is the case, is probably contributing to the cramped sound and may be difficult to fix in the mix.

The violin sound you have going on right now is a bit cramped and nasal, which gives it an almost harmonica-like timbre in some places. Have you done any EQing on it yet? You might try cutting in the 1-3 kHz range to reduce some of the harshness and boosting a bit below that (maybe 600 Hz) to increase body. Boosting with a high shelf above maybe 5 kHz might help bring the overtones out a bit, which may give it a bit more sparkle. I think it would also benefit from a wider, wetter reverb.

How did you record this? I ask because it sounds like a close mic in a very small space, which, if it is the case, is probably contributing to the cramped sound and may be difficult to fix in the mix.

I recorded it with an electric violin as I don't have a way to record regular violins. I'll try doing the EQing that you mentioned. I already tried giving it a wetter reverb, and it sounds kinda.. weird. Then again, I don't know anything about reverbs and EQ so I'll give it another go after increasing the width of the reverb.

Thank you!

This is why I gave up on trying to record my electric violin, it is just missing that something that you only get from micing a real violin. Any way I tried to EQ it was just "not quite there". Although yours sounds a bit better than mine. I would put a more spacious stereo reverb on your recording. There's a kind of high pitched overtone that I hear, I encountered the same thing with my electric.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's really hard to get a good, full sound from an electric violin when it comes to studio recording. I usually opt for an acoustic because it gives me that depth and warmth I love. I am still new with EQ for my acoustic, actually lol. But there should be a way to make your violin sound less harsh by cutting out certain frequencies. I have an electric violin too and I totally stopped playing it years ago haha. I also just want to say- keep working on the vibrato. I think that is one skill that really does help make the violin sing. :) This is a really pretty song, by the way! I cannot wait to hear the finished product! :)

The best EQ is no eq. EQ to compensate for what your mic may be lacking or over emphasizing, or for any frequencies the room you`re recording in brings out more than you`d like. Other than that, get rid of the frequencies you don`t need and are muddying up the mix. If it`s solo violin I would opt not to use any EQ at all, asides from maybe a bit of mid frequency to bring out some of the body, but that's preference.

I'm pretty sure no EQ is the worst EQ. Both direct and acoustic recordings always either have frequencies you don't want or lack frequencies you do.

Not EQ'ing your track is like over stuffing a suitcase where it's about to burst at the seams and saying "Oh well, it fits."

Personally I cut more than I boost when I mix when I can (here's where really good samples out-of-the-box comes in, if you're using a lot of samples), and I usually only do any sort of EQ at all where I can hear an actual change for the better. Occasionally I boost for strength, but mainly little peaking boosts at specific frequencies to bring something up in the mix. I would check on other audio systems if possible. Checking on ones with differences in bass and differences in treble allow you to balance the frequencies between the better and the worse-case systems. I actually have one pair of headphones with okay bass, nice treble, great resonance detection, and more reverb than the average pair, while my main has great bass, great treble, good resonance detection, and minimal reverb.

But yeah, if you "don't trust" your headphones enough to do major cuts or boosts, look for ones with flatter frequency responses (try http://headphone.com/). It's fine to not EQ as much of what you aren't confident in listening for, but if you feel like you need to, go ahead, and then try asking someone you strongly believe knows what he/she's doing and getting feedback.

Edited by timaeus222