PRC112: Music can be endless... and hot (Spyro: Eternal Night GBA)

Rexy

The mixing stage is over! This may be nothing like the Metroid compo but we're definitely going places. Good job, all.

So, this is what you need to do. You will visit the ThaSauce link, check out the entries and make your vote at the form at the bottom; file them all from first to third and state a reasoning for it. Contestants are encouraged to vote as they will gain an additional 3 points to their score if they do so. Since I won PRC111 my vote gets doubled, so watch out (!). The voting stage will end on Wednesday, January 30th at 4:59AM EST. The winner will get to choose the source material for PRC113!

Chickenwarlord - Overdriven

Hylian Lemon - Eternal Fruit Salad

OneUp - Eternal Knight

The People's Remix Competition 112

PRCv5-8

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition! Last PRC saw the most successful round this season with a whopping FIVE entries sent in for its Metroid Prime 3 related contest. And amidst it all, I made a comeback to the competition and took the win, although the news was soured by the fact that I shortly announced my coming retirement as host. (No one sent me a PM yet to apply for it yet, which seems a little disappointing right now.)

Alas, we have the present to take care of. Our next source tune comes from a game that was merely released in America two months after our previous game. But as is the Wii is starting to settle into its time as a potent games console, the Game Boy Advance is on its way out and we are looking at what the handheld community have seen to be arguably the system's last great title.

prc112.png

I know what you guys are potentially thinking - Spyro has seen his heyday as a role model for the Sony PlayStation. But if we compare said dragon's latest outing on the GBA to the main console release, the only thing they have in common is the basic storyline. This handheld incarnation plays more like a classic Metroid/Castlevania title with a great mix of difficulty to attract rookies and hardcore gamers alike, and its gameplay elements in particular helped made it to be the more superior incarnation on the market.

The music worked well for it as well - it's not Stewart Copeland, but Amaze Entertainment's in-house composer Tom Miller expressed a lot of what the GBA is capable of when it comes to sound processing. I saw some Mitsuda-esque vibes come from some of the tracks, and I thought I'd pick one of the more melodicly notable ones as the source for this PRC. The stage itself is aboard a pirate ship, where you're trying to fight your way out from captivity as an arena fighter under the watchful eye of its captain, Skabb.

Hylian Lemon gets props for helping me with the decision out of four potential tracks. If this PRC somehow goes wrong, Ben will get what's coming. o_O

The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night (GBA) - Fellmuth Arena

MIDI | MP3

If this thread somehow looks rushed, blame it on me trying to get everything together while waiting for a night out at an Italian restaurant. Mmmm, ravioli. Anyway...

GOOD LUCK!

Fine Print:

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 6MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed.
  3. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by NEXT SATURDAY, January 26th at 4:59 am Eastern US Time.
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.

Doulifée's PRC Archives! If you need help with hosting your mix, contact myself or Doulifée, and we'll help you out.

I made a blog about it on vgmix, so it should be on the front page for about four seconds or less.

And I'm having trouble nailing down a style for this. I've started three different project files. I'm feeling pretty good about the last one, though. I don't know why I thought of doing it in this style...we'll see how that turns out. Definitely not what I had originally planned on.

I must admit I was late trying to deal with a bonus entry but I am sure that I will have it polished up before the voting deadline. >.> I will not back off from what I've done so far. But still...

The mixing stage is over! This may be nothing like the Metroid compo but we're definitely going places. Good job, all.

So, this is what you need to do. You will visit the ThaSauce link, check out the entries and make your vote at the form at the bottom; file them all from first to third and state a reasoning for it. Contestants are encouraged to vote as they will gain an additional 3 points to their score if they do so. Since I won PRC111 my vote gets doubled, so watch out (!). The voting stage will end on Wednesday, January 30th at 4:59AM EST. The winner will get to choose the source material for PRC113!

Chickenwarlord - Overdriven

Hylian Lemon - Eternal Fruit Salad

OneUp - Eternal Knight

The voting stage is OVER! (And I finally did my alternate, go me!)

So, who escaped the pirate fleet and made headway for the Celestial Temple? And who in comparison is still cornered by a Snail Rider? These are the final standings.

Total number of mixes - 3

Total number of votes - 7

Highest possible score - 21

Chickenwarlord receives another last place wooden spoon with 13 points.

OneUp got pushed into second place with 16 points.

And the winner of PRC112 is Hylian Lemon with 19 points!

Well done again Ben. I found your entry to be interpretive yet amusing, so props for that. You know what to do now - you come up with a source tune and send it over to me. PRC113 should begin on time once it's received.

With that said, I'll see you all again on Friday for the next exciting instalment. Now go. Ride out this storm and live to mix another day.