I need a USB recording interface. Which one?

The Biznut

I have a presonus Firebox but am sick and tired of trying to work around issues with Firewire on my computer, so I am moving on. (Anyone want a firebox?)

This is primarily for guitar recording, but not exclusively. Vocals would be 2nd, then random stuff. Accordian!

What are your recommendations for usb?

Lets put a 400$ cap on this too.

Thanks all.

Depends on how many inputs you want. I would guess that 1 is enough if your just recording guitar off it. I use a Line 6 Toneport UX1. Its run about $149.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-UX1-with-PF?sku=250003

Now there's a bunch of preset models, cabs, effects, etcs, but you can also purchase an additional set of tones for about $99. This is what i use to record all my guitars and it hasn't let me down yet. Check out my latest remix for an idea of the what kind of quality it is. http://tindeck.com/listen/xavu Its a Mega Man Battle Network 6 hero theme remix. The rhythm guitars are all recording using the toneport as well as the solos/leads.

I'm sure there's different ones out there, but i've used this one for about 3 years now and its never let me down yet. :D

I use an M-Audio Fast Track Pro ($200) which I've had no significant problems with. It's not USB 2.0 though. The biggest problem with that is that you won't be able to play+record 96kHz audio at the same time. No biggie for me, but may be for others. Read the first couple of pages of the users guide for a few other USB 1 related limitations.

If I was buying a USB interface now, bgc got me interested in the Lexicon Ionix series. The U42S ($325, sale) and the U22 ($250, sale) seem cool They look great, have 4 and 2 preamps, respectively, come with a great reverb plugin, and are $50 off for a limited time.

I have a presonus Firebox but am sick and tired of trying to work around issues with Firewire on my computer, so I am moving on. (Anyone want a firebox?)

This is primarily for guitar recording, but not exclusively. Vocals would be 2nd, then random stuff. Accordian!

What are your recommendations for usb?

Lets put a 400$ cap on this too.

Thanks all.

If you're having firewire issues, let me ask you this...

Are you using a separate firewire card or are you using the one on the motherboard? If you're using a laptop, I guess you don't have much of a choice but if you're using a desktop, it's better to use a separate firewire card. In the past, I've found a lot of the integrated ones end up having strange issues with audio interfaces.

ZZounds! Curse you and your no shipping to canada. Dammit...

TSF - Im on my lappy - no firewire, so I am going through an express card... Presonus hasn't released windows 7 drivers yet (Or Vista drivers for that matter), and though some people have got it working, those people are not me. I tried for 3 hours and went to many different forums, did all the recommended solutions, no go. I don't have time to waste on this stuff, so Id rather buy a usb 2.0 and be done with it.

I do have a Bose Tonematch mixer, which can act as a usb recording interface, but I am always using it elsewhere, and hate always rigging everything up again. Plus I have yet to use it sucessfully in a recording situation, I always can get sound to the computer to record, but can never hear it through the speakers or the tonematch.

That lexicon u42s looks hot, and zzounds has a good deal on it.

I need a shipping buddy in the states...

pod_xt.jpg

http://line6.com/podxt/

You'll need an amp sim to go with this (I think?). I use Line6's pod farm because it came with my Pod UX2, but there's also Amplitube, which Nekofrog and Tensei use.

I support PODxt usage 110%. If you're on a budget, I think the pocketpod does acceptable quality (someone confirm this if they have one, please).

Also, the Lexicon Lambda I've found is quite good for the price. Not a lot of bells-and-whistles, but extremely functional, stable, and covers a lot of bases.

Nah, doesn't have XLR on the PODxt, but the effects of it are versatile and maleable enough for some unique vocal processing. Before I got the Lexicon Lambda (which has 2 XLR w/phantom power, 2 Line in, 2 Line out, MIDI in/out, and instrument direct in), I had a mic going through a preamp with an XLR-to-1/4" cable going into the PODxt. A little complex but it worked quite well. Also, since the PODxt has that cool USB interface, you can record in various ways: you can record the signal as you hear it, you can record the signal direct and have the PODxt live-process it, and there's one other way that I can't remember. Anyway, if you're a guitarist and can afford it, it is a great recording tool.

Epitaph: PODxt will last you longer and give you more options, only go pocketpod if you're really strapped for cash and wont be able to make any other purchases like that for a while. That, or if you're going somewhere that your POD might get damaged and don't want to chance it :-P

Before I got the Lexicon Lambda (which has 2 XLR w/phantom power, 2 Line in, 2 Line out, MIDI in/out, and instrument direct in), I had a mic going through a preamp with an XLR-to-1/4" cable going into the PODxt. A little complex but it worked quite well.

I occasionally do something similar with my Line6 Tone Direct that came with Gearbox when I bought it about a year or so ago. Not a bad little package for $100. They still sell something similar with Pod Farm now but I'd grab something like the UX2 if I were buying something new. If I start doing live gigs again, I'd like to pick up something like the KB37 so that I can have something that functions as a midi controller and an interface.

Line 6 makes good stuff. Podfarm/Gearbox really has replaced any need for me to record from an amp but I still do sometimes because it can be fun. Their support is pretty decent as well.

Personally, I'd probably stick with either Line6 or M-audio as far as interfaces go. They probably provide some of the best driver support compared to other companies. I originally started recording with an M-audio interface several years ago (a PCI 2496 card). I eventually switched to a MOTU firewire interface and boy did I regret it. I've been using a Digidesign 002r now for the past 3-4 years and it's never let me down but it was rather pricey. I wouldn't buy any Digidesign product unless you're hell bent on using Pro Tools (which I personally love. BTW).

Yeah, there's a small handfull of all-in-one-keyboard/interfaces. I believe M-Audio and EMU make them as well.

They're pretty good if you are in dire need of a keyboard and want to stay as mobile/compact as you possibly can. That being said, I guarantee the preamps in the Ionix are going to top the Line 6's.

Not to seem biased against Line 6 (because I'm not), if it were me I would get the Ionix and something like the M-Audio Oxygen v2 or Keyrig 25.

That being said, the KB37 does look pretty snazzy. :)

I highly recommend a Line 6 TonePort. It's basically a POD on steroids, and made for bass and vocal recording as well.

I use a TonePort UX2, which isn't made anymore, but I use it for just about everything. I've recorded my own stuff with the massive amount of built-in preamps and amp models (as well as the feature to download artist tones over the internet, such as Kirk Hammet's tone used in "Enter Sandman")

I've also used it for recording other amps. One of the guys in my band has a side project that I record for, and he just plugs his Marshall head via line-out jack into the instrument port of the TonePort. It sounds exactly like he's running it through the cab and recorded with a good instrument mic, but without all the mic'ing and expensive recording gear.

BGC, I got a KB37 off ebay, reduced price because it had slight use and is missing the box, manual, and usb cable. Im pretty sure I can find one of those, lol. That is less than half what a new one shipped to Canada would have been.

This has probably become a very helpful thread thanks to all your responses.

I am curious about the UX2... That was a convincing post Dusk...