Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Name of arrangement: "Hylia's Fear"

Name of individual song(s) arranged: "Ballad of the Goddess", "Zelda's Lullaby"

--------------

- Lullaby

- Ballad

• 1 month later...

Been thinking on this one for a while. First off, the opening strings had me worried. The sound there just isn't good when it's exposed like that. After that, though, production is completely fine to me.

What it's coming down to is the arrangement. It is definitely a minimalist take on things, with not only a sparse soundscape for a lot of it, but also a lot of repetition of the main riff of Ballad of the Goddess. I'm on the fence in terms of the the fact that things are so repetitious, but on the good side, there is a lot of subtle differences, and overall everything is beautifully done. I think in the end the simplistic approach does offer a unique view of things, and while I personally wish there was more of an approach to changing the theme itself along with the elements of the sounds, it does a nice job of presenting the theme.

To nitpick, the transition into Zelda's lullaby at 1:18 felt a little abrupt to me, and the transition to the harp at 1:35 could have held on just a tad longer. Just throwing that out there.

YES

DA summed up the positives and negatives well. The strings strained for realism the whole way, but the sample quality was solid enough and the execution was more than reasonable and passable, IMO. That production was paired with a solid arrangement that worked well with noticeably new and different partwriting complimenting the source tunes. This had a mood that you'd love to hear performed by a live orchestra for an even more dynamic feel. Nice work, Kevvviiinnn!

YES

Quite a beautiful track you've written here. Great use of dynamics and contrasting instruments & textures. I really enjoyed how you arranged these themes.

I basically agree with everything that's already been said, so I won't rehash those. Real nitpicky stuff: some dissonant notes at 2:56 that didn't sound intentional. Also, the ending could've been more effective, but that could be chalked up to artist's opinion.

Yes

gonna go ahead and close this one out since we all seem to be on the same page here. these SS sources didn't really do a lot to differentiate themselves from previous incarnations, aside from "omgliveorchestra" - don't get me wrong, both sound great, and Ballad of the Goddess is definitely a baller track - but your arrangement was excellent, a very fresh take on the themes while still retaining the Skyward Sword kinda vibe and imagery. real nice blending of the two themes as well. nice stuff here overall, can't wait to hear more subs from you!

YES