01:22 - 01:35 - Source Chorus with added harmonies

01:36 - 01:47 - Source Bridge

01:48 - 01:53 - Source Verse used as transition

01:54 - 02:18 - Variation on Source Chorus

02:19 - 02:30 - Source verse with some variation

02:31 - 02:54 - Variation of source Chorus

02:55 - 03:07 - Source Bridge

03:08 - End - Solo over source Verse and Chorus

Other info: This is a bit of a remix of my own remix. Around this time last year (August/Sept 2011) I entered my very first remix compo, the PRC. I love Tyrian and its music so definitely had extra motivation to submit the best mix I could. Back then, my skills were really really rough so the mix was not at all good. Though the arrangement was short, it did have some potential. I posted up this revised version on the WIP forums to get some feedback which really helped a great deal. I got some really useful feedback which resulted in this extended and better produced version. Instead of trying to replace all the instruments and re-recording parts I just exported the midi of the previous remix and started again.

The arrangement itself is fairly conservative when looking at the themes and such but I really love playing around with the structure of a source. The intro is formed from the chorus. The verse theme is great, but due to its single chord harmonic progression I didn't feel I could do very much with it in terms of expansion. The original really manages to expertly capture a bright, upbeat catchy melody but also evoke some melancholy and emotion. As with all my ReMixes, I just wanted to try an enhance what is already written by the original composer and give the spotlight to aspects of the music that I really connect with.

I Just want to also mention this is part of the PC ReMix Initiative by Archangel. Spread the word and get those Pre-2000 PC Remixes on OCR. There are many VGM gems and they aren't just on consoles :D

Other than that, thank you again for listening and I look forward to your feedback. I really appreciate all you guys do for the community and like so many others, owe a lot of the skills I've learnt to OCR.

Just as a P.s. I also wanted to say that my PC recently died and I lost a fair few project files. This one, I do have, but not the final version. Any revisions would mean me having to re-do quite a lot.

-----------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah this track is really hot in the highs. I lost my regular headphones, so I'm having to use some backups that don't have as good high freq response, but this even still is fatiguing my ears to listen to.

Levels in general could also be pulled back to ease up on the RMS and compression. Sometimes overcompression is causing distortion, like at the very end of the track.

I agree with Vig that the performances could be tightened up. Especially in places like 1:10 with the rhythm guitars. This only stuck me as a minor issue though.

On the arrangement side, source connections were clear throughout. Very creative modifications around the OST melody lines to keep things fresh.

This is close, IMO, but at the very least the levels & EQ needs to be fixed.

NO resubmit, please

• 4 weeks later...

Timing issues definitely should be looked at. Vig is also right about it being really bright. That piano in particular sounds really bright. There's a really bad crunch/clip on the cymbal at the end too, that definitely needs fixing.

This is a personal favorite source tune, and I really love your arrangement; the guitars are really joyous at times, which is exactly how this source should be approached IMO. I'd love to see this tightened up and on OCR. Hopefully you can clean things up. :)

NO, definitely resub