CT_NoHope_remix

HoboKa

Interesting. Strings sound too synthy, replacing them with a warm pad might help (as it'd be intentional then). Piano could use some more elaborate writing. I'm not saying it needs lots of new stuff, just those chords, those rhythms, that little stuff that makes pianists actually enjoy playing it. As far as I can hear, there's at most two keys struck simultaneously. Most pianists have two hands, write for them both.

This is better than your usual mess, man. :P I'll hire someone in your area to throw stuff at you if you go to dnb or trance or something half way through this remix. Seriously, this could be great. Just, make it more intentional, more elaborate, more original take... You know, the stuff. production headaches come later, but with something as clean as this, production should be _relatively_ easy. Or I could be wrong, and it's twice the ordeal, twice the headache. We'll see.

Good stuff, man. Would be cooler if it was some compeltely different game tho, something under-remixed instead.

Interesting. Strings sound too synthy, replacing them with a warm pad might help (as it'd be intentional then). Piano could use some more elaborate writing. I'm not saying it needs lots of new stuff, just those chords, those rhythms, that little stuff that makes pianists actually enjoy playing it. As far as I can hear, there's at most two keys struck simultaneously. Most pianists have two hands, write for them both.

This is better than your usual mess, man. :P I'll hire someone in your area to throw stuff at you if you go to dnb or trance or something half way through this remix. Seriously, this could be great. Just, make it more intentional, more elaborate, more original take... You know, the stuff. production headaches come later, but with something as clean as this, production should be _relatively_ easy. Or I could be wrong, and it's twice the ordeal, twice the headache. We'll see.

Good stuff, man. Would be cooler if it was some compeltely different game tho, something under-remixed instead.

yeah was just a spur of the moment, wanted to try something a bit different. No trance/dnb stuff's gonna defile this song, don't worry.

Are those...dyanmics? This is pretty nice. The aux. percussion in the opening seems kind of unnecessary, and it could use string samples that allowed for more varied articulations, but from what I remember this is a huge improvement in your writing.

Yeah, the only decent orchestral samples is the stuff I got off of Darkesword's ripped SF site ><. I'm broker than broke, so I can't get myself decent samples like Native, Korg, etc. I do have several decent piano, brass and saxophone samples (though the saxes are a bit too play-back-ish).

And yes those are dynamics, I payed attention to varying velocities to set the mood and whatnot. Thanks for your comments Alex, it means a lot :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some good soundfonts that can be put to use:

SGM - My favorite soundfont, I still use it for ethnic drums, sine wave, etc.

Decent Orchestral samples too.

http://www.geocities.jp/shansoundfont/

FluidGM and Cadenza are decent soundfonts too, although I hardly use them as much as SGM.

Equinox Grand Pianos - Best grand piano soundfont out there imo.

I can't find a link. :(

About your song, I really like this one actually. :razz:

Especially at 3:00+, some really good stuff. I feel there should be more instruments in the background, like strings or something to bring out more emotion, or even strings playing with piano to accentuate the theme. But I'm a string addict, so that's just me talking.

The beginning builds up a tad too slow in my opinion. It is all panned left for an extremely long time, so I just find that odd. As Alex said, it's definitely a huge improvement, and I can't agree more.

Some good soundfonts that can be put to use:

SGM - My favorite soundfont, I still use it for ethnic drums, sine wave, etc.

Decent Orchestral samples too.

http://www.geocities.jp/shansoundfont/

FluidGM and Cadenza are decent soundfonts too, although I hardly use them as much as SGM.

Equinox Grand Pianos - Best grand piano soundfont out there imo.

I can't find a link. :(

About your song, I really like this one actually. :razz:

Especially at 3:00+, some really good stuff. I feel there should be more instruments in the background, like strings or something to bring out more emotion, or even strings playing with piano to accentuate the theme. But I'm a string addict, so that's just me talking.

The beginning builds up a tad too slow in my opinion. It is all panned left for an extremely long time, so I just find that odd. As Alex said, it's definitely a huge improvement, and I can't agree more.

Yeah Hemo told me similar things, though he also said that the attacks are too weak and the song needs more distinction between sounds ><. So I got a newer ver. coming up that's panned more properly and I did some stereo mastering techniques too. As for your opinion I might consider adding another instrument like a harp, but it has enough strings already IMO :P

Also, I'll definitely look into those SF links, because squidfont can only do so much lol.

Oh, and Blue.Nocturne, thanks for your input, it means a lot to me :D. You don't know how many of my mixes go without helpful criticism. Not that Rozo isn't doing a good job =P

And you know...this song could be uber if we collabed on it, because with your orchestral magic it'll be very sexy and it's a (I dare not say GOOD, due to the high bar here) chance that you can get yourself posted :D.

EDIT: got ver.2 up ;-)http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/gldw/CT_Grief_Stricken_Ver2

I kinda like the "lofi" vibe on the beginning strings. It's probably not the best string sample in the world, but I just like how that sounds. You're somewhat too busy with the arrangement-wise, if you know what I mean. Try to keep it simpler and focus on finding *the* phrase/melody you want. It's a bit too much like laying notes on top of one another.

You don't have to sound a new note every eight note or so. :)

When the piano first comes in, it sounds pretty nice. I like that. I like the emotional resonance I get from this. I also like the voice-sound that comes in later. You add instruments/sounds slowly along the way, I like that. It gives the piece pace. Pace, dynamics and instrument/timbre choices show very good promise in my opinion.

--Eino

I kinda like the "lofi" vibe on the beginning strings. It's probably not the best string sample in the world, but I just like how that sounds. You're somewhat too busy with the arrangement-wise, if you know what I mean. Try to keep it simpler and focus on finding *the* phrase/melody you want. It's a bit too much like laying notes on top of one another.

You don't have to sound a new note every eight note or so. :)

When the piano first comes in, it sounds pretty nice. I like that. I like the emotional resonance I get from this. I also like the voice-sound that comes in later. You add instruments/sounds slowly along the way, I like that. It gives the piece pace. Pace, dynamics and instrument/timbre choices show very good promise in my opinion.

--Eino

Yeah I'm working on that not-low-fi thing :D, and I think I over-did the reverb on that last one so I'll probably reduce it. As for the arrangement, I need it to be that way because otherwise it'd be too conservative =/.

Yeah I'm working on that not-low-fi thing :D,

Hehe, hope I'll still like it. :)

and I think I over-did the reverb on that last one so I'll probably reduce it.

Good call, it was quite drenched in reverb. Moderate reverb should be good.

As for the arrangement, I need it to be that way because otherwise it'd be too conservative =/.

That's probably part of the problem - now it really sounds that at places you just add some notes with the sole aim to be more liberal with the source! Of course you have to be interpretative..

I don't know CT soundtrack through and through, so what are the originals in this one? I have the rip from Zophar; the first theme you have is "The Day the World Revived" and the second is "At the Bottom of the Night".. did I get them right? I could do side-by-side comparison and comment on your creative choices on the arrangement. Give a bit more detailed feedback where I think your interpretative choices work and don't work (all in my humble opinion of course).

If it's mostly those two tracks, it sounds to me you're already doing pretty well making this your own piece, with just the instrumentation, pacing, dynamics et cetera.

cheers!

--Eino

Hehe, hope I'll still like it. :)

Good call, it was quite drenched in reverb. Moderate reverb should be good.

That's probably part of the problem - now it really sounds that at places you just add some notes with the sole aim to be more liberal with the source! Of course you have to be interpretative..

I don't know CT soundtrack through and through, so what are the originals in this one? I have the rip from Zophar; the first theme you have is "The Day the World Revived" and the second is "At the Bottom of the Night".. did I get them right? I could do side-by-side comparison and comment on your creative choices on the arrangement. Give a bit more detailed feedback where I think your interpretative choices work and don't work (all in my humble opinion of course).

If it's mostly those two tracks, it sounds to me you're already doing pretty well making this your own piece, with just the instrumentation, pacing, dynamics et cetera.

cheers!

--Eino

Yeah, I try. The two sources I used are No_Hope and At the Bottom of the Night. I think anyways, lol. And yeah the original stuff is what you guessed, but hey at least it's on key and flows decently (more or less) :D

BTW if you are a Breath of Fire 2 fan, look out for this sweet suite/medley thing that my friend and I are making. It's going to be epic :)