Glover - Love of Glove

JH Sounds

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[X] Borrows heavily from non-source material (it's a simplistic dance pattern)

PRODUCTION

[X] Too quiet

[X] Low-quality samples

[not for this genre] Unrealistic sequencing

[X] Generic/cliche sound choices

[X] Drums have no energy

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Pace too plodding

[X] Too repetitive

[X] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS

The choir/vox is weak IMO, the drums need more oomph ESPECIALLY for a dance song. No one wants to dance to a weak beat :'(. Just compress the drums a bit and maybe layer them with panning techniques to make them come out more. And I also think that this remix is a bit of a downgrade from the original, just because it has a more filled-out soundscape and better sequenced drums (sorry man). Moreover, this wip needs a few more supporting instruments, a counter melody and some other ear candies, as the composition itself is overly simplistic and repetitive. I've been through this before and still am trying to make my way through it, but I gotta be honest. If I lied to you, and you submitted this and got instantly rejected, I wouldn't be doing you a favor. You've got potential though :). (and as a positive side, your bass sample is nice, just its line needs more variety :D)

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing)

[X] Borrows heavily from non-source material (it's a simplistic dance pattern)

PRODUCTION

[not for this genre] Unrealistic sequencing

[X] Generic/cliche sound choices

[X] Drums have no energy

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Too repetitive

[X] Too short

[X] Abrupt ending

Are you crazy? :? This is anything but too close to the original. All that's taken from the original is 2 verses (1 of which is only played once). It's without a doubt not close enough to the original.

TIPS:

• Use more melodies from original
  • Make it sound more space-ish
  • Make it less repetitive
  • Make it longer
  • Make it soundslower
  • Use wider vartiety of soundfonts/instruments

Sorry I didn't hear the original enough it seems.

Interesting source.

Snare is weak and doesn't quite fit the the soundscape. The next snare/clap isn't any better (tho the snare roll is). Choir is way too dry, more release, more reverb.

It's repetitive.

The lead is too loud, and I think you've EQd the bass drum too far down. If I remember correctly, you should be boosting 100-150Hz where the punch is (correct me someone if I'm wrong).

You need to work on making it more interesting, adding depth to it.

Sorry this is all negative. You've avoided some newb pitfalls but not others. It does sound like you've got potential to make good remixes, with time and practice. Listen and compare the sound levels, punch, soundscaping, in remixes as well as commersial music.in related genres. Learn to listen, and then listen to your own track.

Good luck!