FINAL FANTASY 6 - Train Station Au Naturel (Phantom Forest)

OverCoat

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

PRODUCTION

[X] Too loud (sort of)

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

STRUCTURE

[X] Pace too plodding (sort of)

[X] Too repetitive

[X] Abrupt ending (not finished yet I assume)

PERSONAL COMMENTS:

I like this interpretation of the ghost train song, it's very eerie (in a good way) and ambient, but the synth-bass-thingy does get repetitive IMO. You're my first victim of the OCR check-list, did you find it helpful?

Okay - I'm not exceptionally experienced so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but it seems like you'd appreciate any kind of feedback.

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Pace too plodding

[X] Too repetitive

[X] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS

For "Pace too plodding," and "Too repetitive," they weren't too prevalent personally, it felt like it was intentional and that's okay, it does go with the overall feel. However, for "Not enough changes in sounds," I did think that using the same synth at 2:16-2:54 used in the rest of the song got somewhat "boring," even if it was supposed to resemble the sound of the melody before and after it. Also, the string crescendo starting at 2:00 felt a little fast, not too big of a deal. And this one is a tiny nitpick, but when the strings jump an octave at 1:24 there's a tiny space of silence which was a bit jarring. And finally, for "Abrupt ending," was there a specific reason to continue that sample at the end beyond what felt like a very natural conclusion at 4:18? But I like the sound and feel of it otherwise, it creates a great ambiance that's very fitting for a "funky" haunt.

Apparently Larry didn't.

The checklist lacks the verbosity and completeness of an actual good review, but I suppose it's better than "I like this but the bass sucks"

lmao I tried man...I tried. I dig your song a lot nonetheless, so don't shoot me for that :-P

Am I dumb for thinking capitalizing FINAL FANTASY 6 would get my song more responses

LoL~!!

And no, that is actually a pretty good ploy seeing as that is a very popular game. People are just too lazy to reply :P

You're my first victim of the OCR check-list, did you find it helpful?
Apparently Larry didn't.

The checklist lacks the verbosity and completeness of an actual good review, but I suppose it's better than "I like this but the bass sucks"

No, I just don't find it helpful to list everything on the checklist and then write yes or no next to it, so I edited out everything he wrote no for.

I like it. It's repetitive, and could use another melody, maybe a whole 'nother source in case the original doesn't have enough melodic content that you want to use.

The rhythms are great, but the melodic content get sold really quickly. For five minutes, I'm bored after 3 mins. Cut out the repetition.

Some of the samples are a bit noisy, e.g. the shehnai or whatever it is.

What's the stuff at the end? Funny, but not good. Sorry man.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

STRUCTURE

[x] Not enough changes in sounds

[x] Too repetitive

Cool, but way too long. Too tired to comment on source vs interpretation, but... maybe later.

What the hell is this? Your Socket and OoT forest temple mixes are some of my favorite in the remixing community. But this...this is a travesty!!!

So, do I win the award for harshest critique? What about least informative?? Anyway, apparently I don't like the genre of Strange Overcoat or repetitive default-esque, 'mixing software'-sounding synth bass samples. I can't really say anything about the other samples, because even if some incredibly awesome sample or samples were to take the lead, all current samples would be out of place.

The fanatic tower of power stuff actually sounds good as a fusion of warped voices in this already-warped style of music. But the very last bit when they're sampled by themselves has to go.

These are just my newb non-experienced thoughts, but...

I love the percussion going on, with the lovely bouncy rhythm, but that bass synth line is very repetitive. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think you vary the rest of the melody enough to make things interesting.

Still loving the rough potential going on, please keep working on this! :D

I definitely like what you have here, but it's true, it's quite repetitive. The bass line sounds really great at first, but the repetition makes it grating. It might be that the filtering makes it so distinctive it gets all the attention.You could try filtering the higher frequencies out occassionally, or even using staccato/plucking notes to differentiate between parts. Or just dropping it for a while and going forward completely on the strength of percussion.

That indian horn (or somesuch) sounds really wicked.

--Eino