Logic vs. FL Studio

Well, because I tried out the demo of FL, but never tried out Logic, I am already accustomed to the point+delete style of FL, which I find convenient. I never did find out how to edit/move a bunch of notes at a time, though from videos I've seen online it looks like it's done by color-coordinating different notes. Does Logic have a feature like that? Other aspects I wanted to toy with in FL but never figured out how was volume change (for individual instruments, not just the whole song) and tempo change (in the middle of a song). Is Logic any easier/harder to use in these terms? I guess since it has a score format it would be, as I'm much more accustomed to seeing dynamics and tempo in scores...

Actually, I think there's just one thing I need to get straightened out: Do both programs create equally good results, but they differ in the manner that one uses the programs? Like, if I had a song in mind, I could make it with either program, but one might be easier or quicker to use than the other?

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I hope I don't sound too stupid asking all these questions. >_<

it's really not that big of a deal. More effort goes into to composing and making the song anyways. As long as the piano roll gets the job done, it's fine. On the other hand, I can't stand FL's automation clips. Although I just upgraded to v8 and they seem to be on par now. They actually show you what you are editing instead of a %. The other thing I don't like about FL is that the program takes up too much screen space. IMHO, any daw works fine because they can all load the same vsts.

@EternalWrath;

On the piano roll either use the selection tool to select a bunch of notes or use control with the pencil tool, then you can move/edit all of those notes at once. As for individual channel editing, each channel has it's own volume and panning knob, aswell as individual note velocity/panning markers on the piano roll aswell. As for tempo changed in songs, the tempo in FL studio is fully automatable so it is pretty easy to have tempo changes, it's relatively difficult to work with time signatures in FL Studio, and I'm not sure how you would be able to change time signatures in it.

As for producing equal results, music is music and you can create the same thing on both, but according to your work style and resources it could be significantly easier/more difficult on one program or the other. Both are very different and you would need to pick out one that works best for you. From what I can tell (I've only used FL Studio) Logic would be better suited for live recordings, while in FL studio everything is always easy to go back and edit.

In case you haven't amde up your mind yet...

Well, because I tried out the demo of FL, but never tried out Logic, I am already accustomed to the point+delete style of FL, which I find convenient. I never did find out how to edit/move a bunch of notes at a time, though from videos I've seen online it looks like it's done by color-coordinating different notes. Does Logic have a feature like that?

Selection tools, shift-clicking individual notes... And Logic can, like I told zircon, be customized to carry the same tools as FL has by default, so you've got the pencil on the left mouse button and the eraser on the right.

I don't know about the color-coordinating you mentioned, not whether it's real or not, or if it can be done in logic either. In Logic, tho, the strength (called velocity) of each note is displayed in the color of the note. FL might do the same, I don't know.

Other aspects I wanted to toy with in FL but never figured out how was volume change (for individual instruments, not just the whole song) and tempo change (in the middle of a song). Is Logic any easier/harder to use in these terms? I guess since it has a score format it would be, as I'm much more accustomed to seeing dynamics and tempo in scores...

Logic has channel faders.

Actually, I think there's just one thing I need to get straightened out: Do both programs create equally good results, but they differ in the manner that one uses the programs? Like, if I had a song in mind, I could make it with either program, but one might be easier or quicker to use than the other?

Ultimately, YES, then NO. They have different default instruments and different compatibility with plug-in formats, but they can both create great music, as should be evident from OCR's collection of tracks. I don't know if FL is easier than Logic. Both have a learning curve.

Zephyr said it well:

As for producing equal results, music is music and you can create the same thing on both, but according to your work style and resources it could be significantly easier/more difficult on one program or the other.

--

As for tempo changed in songs, the tempo in FL studio is fully automatable so it is pretty easy to have tempo changes, it's relatively difficult to work with time signatures in FL Studio, and I'm not sure how you would be able to change time signatures in it.

From what I can tell (I've only used FL Studio) Logic would be better suited for live recordings, while in FL studio everything is always easy to go back and edit.

Most things in Logic is fully automatable. You can change time signature, tempo, channel settings, effect parameters... almost anything.

The stuff about Logic being better suited for live recordings because "in FL everything is always easy to go back and edit" is a load of crap. Good thing Zephyr's not claiming to know both programs. :P As stated above, almost everything can be automated in Logic: volume, EQ settings, velocity, pitch bend, tempo, time signature, reverb mix, adsr... just about anything. This means you can go back and change just about anything. Just like Zephyr says you can in FL.

--

Perhaps we should compile a feature list of the most popular DAWs. With feature list, I don't mean just a comparison of features, but also things like compatibility, OS, whether or not there's a trial version, to what extent it can be customized, number of effects, synths, and other stuff included, etc.

Woes Logic have a feature like that?

Check out http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=SFLogicNinja

Is Logic any easier/harder to use in these terms?

Logic's got something called an automation lane where you can do this; you simply draw the volume over time.

Do both programs create equally good results, but they differ in the manner that one uses the programs?

This goes for all programs :).

Like, if I had a song in mind, I could make it with either program, but one might be easier or quicker to use than the other?

That's pretty much the difference, and of course the set of available plugins and the platform.

Perhaps we should compile a feature list of the most popular DAWs. With feature list, I don't mean just a comparison of features, but also things like compatibility, OS, whether or not there's a trial version, to what extent it can be customized, number of effects, synths, and other stuff included, etc.

That's a good idea, it would save us a lot of time dealing with beginners, the problem though is being able to compare different versions of each individual product, would people want to compare fruity loops 7 with logic pro, or logic express, Reason 3, or Reason 4, would they want Fruity express? Or Producer? Maybe we could just do a general capability chart for each main program. In fact, I'ma go make a thread about it. Join me there if you wish...

Actually, a couple of those things, at least in regards to FL, aren't entirely accurate.

For one, resizing a note after it's already inputted has to be done from the right side of the note, not the left. This is actually one thing I don't like about FL's sequencer, and that's that you can't resize backwards in time. Instead, you have to reposition the note's start point, and then stretch it to the appropriate length.

Good news, I just found it, but in FL 8, hit caps lock and you can resize from the left aswell.