Traditional African\South American Music?

Shadow Wolf

Okay, so I have a question. This is coming from the whitest white guy that ever lived, but hopefully we can figure something out. I absolutely love what I, for lack of a better descriptor, term 'traditional African music.' The style I'm talking about has several hallmarks: it uses all kinds of percussion, especially djembe, and often features 'tonal' vocals, which is also common in Polynesian music. Oftentimes children's choirs or adult choirs will sing in African, etc.

For examples of the type of music I'm talking about, look at the Starfox Adventures Soundtrack, most notably the music for Cape Claw, and also the music from the Galleon scene at the beginning. Both are shining examples of what I'm talking about. Also much of the soundtrack to the movie Blood Diamond, a lot of the score music from the Lion King, and its accompanying arrangement album Rhythm of the Pride Lands. I'll be more than willing to point out specific tracks if anyone wants them, but it's late and I'm typing in the dark right now.

At any rate, I really want to be able to pin a more specific name on this genre of ethnic music, and find out what artists and sources there are for obtaining it. I love ethnic music, but it can, by its nature, be hard for foreigners to get familiar with it, and for some reason especially Africa. At any rate, information and reccomendations would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Does Baba Yetu count?

Yes it does, that's pretty sweet sounding stuff. That's how I've always found this stuff before, it just shows up one song at a time in games and movies and such.

I have a whole bunch of this shit, I can hook you up with some if you want.

That'd be awesome, I'm on a fat internet connection this week.

Looks like you are in luck because i promote south american music from most parts of south america. What type would you like modern traditional ? (1600's and up) or pre-columbian (be fore colonization)traditional? i have music of african, european, and native sotuh american descent and its fusions.I have mp's and i can also reformat flash files like youtube vids into mp3's. (see my list at the bottom)

Some examples are the traditional music brought from african slaves to colombia called cumbia (not to be confused with the mexican knock off version). Note there are different variations from hardcore traditional to a modern influence with percussions.Some brief examples of the traditional.

traditional dance

Music video

Modern version of cumbia with accordeons and percussion

The modern variation for the clubs :discotecas .It's a venezuelan band but we share the same hisotry so i give it a go.They have a remarkable job of perfoming the colombian cumbia very well if not better at times.P.s. the chic is hot.

If you want purer African music in Colombia there's mapale and currulao

currulao without dancing

mapale

and that' just the african part of just colombia alone other south american coutnries have their own african music depending on which tribe came from africa.

Take the saya from Bolivia that combined with indigenous music

Speaking of which i have native music from ecuador,peru, and bolivia.

san juanito from ecuador in both native and spansih

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V23hMMZc4ms

modern ecuadorian party.Notice the indigenous influnce on the music.btw it was cultural exchange thing in france so the ones who can't dance are frenccuz they don't know the dance well.

tinku from bolivia

Huayño

Lastly here is a traditional song of european descent from my country colombia called san juaneero (litteraly st. johnner in honer of st. john unlike san juanito "little st. john"from ecuador which isn't to honer st. john).the title says queen of bambuco but san juanero is an off shoot of bambuco

Music i carry:reggae (lovers rock and dance hall), ethnic,cumbia (the original from Colombia), Mexican cumbia, techno-cumbia, porro, merenge, salsa, bolero, paseo, paseaito, san juanero, san juanito, mapale , merecumbe, paso doble, flamenco, vals,vallenato,cumbia-vallenata, passillo, bambuco, currulao, techno , trance, bachata, latin rock, tango, that faster version of tango from chile called milonga, Music from the andes (too many to name), plena, tropical, joropo llanero (both Colombian and Venezuelan cuz it's the same thing), salsa Colombiana,Puerto Rican and Cuban salsa, rancheras (once in a while), cumbia andina (aka chicha in peru), cumbia negra,cumbia mosaico, anything good from brazil,guabina,torbellino, that hatian music that's similar to spanish music compa, calypso,...takes breathe.... there's more that i know of but can't think of right now..

I have a whole bunch of this shit, I can hook you up with some if you want.

I just call it all "world music" though you should really just say what it is - Tribal _____ Music, _____ Folk music, traditional _____ music, etc.

If you have a mp3 collection, I would also be interested. I'm looking for more inspirations.

That was a shit ton of information.

We're a mixed people. If you want any let me know. I don't want to put up too much for people with low bandwith but here is one last one from colombia called vallenato.There are four types of vallenato and this one is called puya. It's not heard of much outside its region because it's considered country like.