Did anyone actually see Speed Racer?

I haven't seen it yet, but I have been curious. Trouble is that the previews really didn't look all that great to me.

Yeah same here. That's why I assumed that the critics were right when they were talking crap about the movie. Silly me....critics suck these days.

Movie is like rainbows and good exploding in your face

Saw it with a bunch of friends, high fiving and super into the movie the whole time, so much silly fun. I still love to watch the original Speed Racer and the W.Bros did an amazing job here IMO

If you like the original Speed Racer at all, you'll love this

Only complaint, terrible start, first 15-20 minutes sucked out of control. Once you get to The Crucible it becomes the best thing ever

Cloverfield came out 1/18/08. That was the tagline for the whole movie. That was the only thing printed on most of the promo posters.

Anyhow, I definitely need to see Speed Racer, it looks awesome.

Yeah. I meant to say in the past year. Cloverfield was the other movie that nearly bombed because of all the negative press and people 'not getting' the movie. Same to Speedracer, unfortunately. Both were some of the most fun I had in theaters I can remember. I'm almost shocked that they could get so much lambasting.

And nobody's seen a movie where you have RAIN in a cool fight scene, fighting alongside JOHN GOODMAN? Lawl!! Rain was awesome in that movie.

Edit: I watched some of the originals on Youtube...I can't believe I ever liked this show as a kid. Looking back now the original fucking SUCKED haha.

Rain was really cool and he just might be the next Asian movie star who happens to speak little to no English. At least it's better than the whole Hong Kong connection with Asians in major movies, as vaguely racist as that is.

To all of you who have seen Speed Racer:

Were you on the edge of your seat at the end of the movie?

I was.

In Iron Man, I knew he was gonna win. It made it boring.

In Speed Racer, I knew he was gonna win, but it made it a hell of a show, because at that point, I felt they could make him finish second and not ruin the end of the movie. It was a thrill ride. Even people who did not know a thing about Speed Racer were enjoying this. It has everything a "cool" movie can have: fast car, hot girls (that were not just there to be pleasing to the eye), engaging story told in a great manner and funny, yet interesting, characters.

Speed Racer was not a movie supposed to change the world, however, I am sure it should change the way people see movies.

From the beginning with Speed in school, to the zebras, everything was stunning, colorful, gorgeous, and harmonious.

I wasn't shy to say that Ironman was just plain boring and rote. Most of its plot elements were ludicrous and didn't make sense and it actually reminded me of Spiderman with the CG effects ruining the integrity of the acting.

As for Speedracer, I'm sure the Wachowskis created a few filming techniques again and it's going to pop my eyeballs and hurt my head watching it on Bluray. I can't wait.

And as for the music, apparently it was partly done by the Lost composer Michael Giacchino. Between him and Matthew Fox, that was a bit surreal because a few moments reminded me of Lost..

And totally agree that the 5-language Speed Racer remix is probably one of the best remixes I've ever heard. It is simply epic. No other way to describe it.

Yeah. I meant to say in the past year. Cloverfield was the other movie that nearly bombed because of all the negative press and people 'not getting' the movie. Same to Speedracer, unfortunately. Both were some of the most fun I had in theaters I can remember. I'm almost shocked that they could get so much lambasting.

But Cloverfield broke the record for January opening, and turned a profit fairly quickly since the movie was made cheaply. A sequel is already in the works.

Speed Racer on the other hand, if what I heard is true then Warner put in over $200 million into this, only to make a little over $20 million its opening weekend. I believe this weekend it only made around $8 million and didn't even scratch the top three. The film and possibly even the Wachowski Bros. careers are dead in the water.

And that's very sad. I saw the film last night with my friends, and like l-n-j-i-n, I have to say it's some of the most fun I had with a movie in a while. Speed Racer was a campy ridiculous show that is always poked fun at for that fact. The film embraced that campyness and made a ridiculous movie. We were laughing our asses off the whole time.

I highly recommend to fans of anime, crap anime, or Speed Racer.

The figures for making the movie should have been around $120 million and the worldwide gross is catching up. Add to that the toys, the tie-ins and the Bluray/DVD sales, I think it should still rake in a profit.

I hope the Wachowskis aren't in deep water or anything.

If you like the original Speed Racer at all, you'll love this.

That's what lots of people said about the Transformers movie. I didn't really feel like going (besides the fact that I was kinda hard up on cash at the time), but someone twisted my into going with them as a birthday present of sorts. I didn't have the heart to tell my friend outright that it was terrible, but I still loathe nearly every lukewarm/lukecold minute of it, though I actually felt worse about wasting my friends money in the process (even though he did enjoy it a bit and I suppose there were a scant few enjoyable second of the movie).

critics suck these days

Critics have always sucked. For one there are plenty of movie "greats" that aren't worth a single second of watching time. Second, there are way too many movies that get the absolute slam on reviews. It happens all the time.

Movie critique isn't really reliable at all. In all truth, seeing or reading a brief synopsis of a movie should actually be more reliable.