What flies here?

Just wanted to ask about what a good ReMix can be here.

They're pretty basic questions and have probly been asked before, so if i'm repeating, please point me to the proper thread.

1. How diverse can the selection of instruments and styles be within one song? Is there a line drawn somewhere?

2. Do you record MIDI, layer on the instruments you want, and then throw in a music editing software to master it? What's the tried and true method?

3. Are the judges bribable? Like... with cookies... or servitude... or something? lol :-P

Just wanted to ask about what a good ReMix can be here.

They're pretty basic questions and have probly been asked before, so if i'm repeating, please point me to the proper thread.

1. How diverse can the selection of instruments and styles be within one song? Is there a line drawn somewhere?

2. Do you record MIDI, layer on the instruments you want, and then throw in a music editing software to master it? What's the tried and true method?

3. Are the judges bribable? Like... with cookies... or servitude... or something? lol :-P

1. It's a blurry line. Generally speaking, we're looking for something cohesive; stay away from medleys and develop your musical ideas.

2. There is no tried and true method. Everyone has their own preferred workflow. Just find whatever works for you.

3. Yes.

We accept Cave Story and only Cave Story

If you really want to get on here fast, though, just remix something from FF7 or Chrono Trigger. Or better yet, the Ice Cap theme from Sonic 3.

so... my Aerith's theme idea is... good (maybe)? :-P

Oh and...

3. Yes.

*way clever...* no seriously if I had $$ I probly would if it would help! By the way props on the soundfont collection! those rock!

One more question:

When recording MIDI, is it best to stay on a piano patch, or put your intrument on first? I haven't experimented too much because I simply haven't had time to write a decent... anything... summer classes suck muchly...

Basically I'd like to know the best way to actually record MIDI. I use a Yamaha 6-octave keyboard.

One more question:

When recording MIDI, is it best to stay on a piano patch, or put your intrument on first? I haven't experimented too much because I simply haven't had time to write a decent... anything... summer classes suck muchly...

Basically I'd like to know the best way to actually record MIDI. I use a Yamaha 6-octave keyboard.

First question is, again, preference. Second, your keyboard will need a midi output jack, which looks like this:

midi-out.jpg

Which you'd need to plug into your computer with something like this cord:

463210.jpg