Urban Terror (freeware FPS)

Sinewav

http://www.urbanterror.net/

So recently, I downloaded and became extremely addicted to this game that I found in the freeware thread. It's sorta Counter-Strikesque, but not necessarily a clone. The website accurately describes it as "a Hollywood tactical shooter; somewhat realism based, but the motto is "fun over realism". This results in a very unique, enjoyable and addictive game." It's really easy to pick up... I've only been playing for a few days and even the ridiculously skilled hardcore gamers are fun to play against. Personally, I also appreciate the fact that it's one of the few good multiplayer FPSes that runs smoothly on my piece of crap computer.

So I was wondering: any OCR folk who play this game? I'd love to schedule some OCR matches and possibly get a clan together or something.

Hahahaha, I remember this: not a bad one, I must say. Some elements need a heap of work tho *looks at the water movement* I swear, don't go in the water, that's annoying </whinge>

The quake engines brought about a heap of awesome games/mods. My favourite was always Tremulous then UT, because trem was a bit more complex. Shame I never learnt how to play aliens properly though :P

But UT is a good one because there isn't much of a learning curve, and it runs on nearly anything. Hell, I setup a 52 man LAN at school. That was a funny game, I won 146 kills 43 deaths :<

I played this back when it was at its peak during the Q3 modding community. I hope the quality of players now if there still are any is better, cause back then they were dicks. You would be banned from most of the popular servers if you used a weapon the admins didnt like, like the SPAS or such. Flash grenades abound, etc etc. It was ok if you had a group or clan you were in, but average play was horrible.

And Hollywood tactical shooter? Fun over realism? If you want that, go play Action Quake 2 or Reaction Quake 3. Done way better, and some of the stuff was stolen from there to go to UT. Some of the AQ2 mappers left to go to UT though like BBQ and was such a waste.

Actually, one of the things that makes me like it so much is the quality of players. One of the things that really irritates me about Counter-Strike are people exactly like what you're talking about... So far I've had exactly the opposite experience with this game. The other day I couldn't figure out how to plant the bomb, and the hardcore crazy awesome players didn't even care. The community is very n00b friendly IMO. The only thing I've seen people get kicked for is outright cheating.

Also I think there's been some updates since you last played, because I've had no problem with the water movement.

I'd love to try AQ2 and the other variants, but I have no money for the retail games :-(. Tremulous looks interesting though, so I'll give it a try.

There are about 3 or 4 variations of Action Quake 2 out there all for free, you just have to search around for it. Action Quake 2 was developed by the A-Team, one member being Gooseman, who went on to do stuff for Counterstrike, the rest going on to do Action Half Life. Fans made Reaction Quake 3, which I don't think ever had a freeware release. Most of the members I use to talk to of that team are never on either, but it was a great team to work for. Unfortunately AQ2 and RQ3 never really get any recognition for being over shadowed by CS, but those mods were ground breaking, and the only real thing before them was Navy Seals Q1, which was horrible.

Edit: Thanks for looking, sinewave.

There is Clan OCR support for this and I already have my info up. You guys who play should add your info (name, frequented servers, etc.)

I play on Alpha Clan whenever possible. Some people on that server are badasses, others are just asses.

How long has the database had a listing for this game? I used to hang out in the ClanOCR irc channel and participate in some Pokemon Diamond/Pearl matches, but I never noticed this game listed there before. Maybe I just didn't pay attention to it because I'd never heard of it.

Alpha servers are where I've been playing too.

EdgeCrusher: What is it exactly about this game that you don't like besides the players? Everything seems really well designed and balanced to me.

I've been playing if for a couple of days now under the name Turtle Slap, and I think its okay.

I just can't seem to kill people as quick as the kill me though. I unload entire clips on people, but they just kinda shake it off and just turn around and pops me a couple of times and I die. WTF?

It seriously says that I was shot in the legs taking of 16-20% of my health, but I die immeadiatly. WTF happened to the other 80%?

I'm not an expert marksman, but I know at least ten of my bullets hit them in the chest, yet they still manage to survive and kill me. There is also quite a few cheaters out there as well. I even have to shoot people in the head twice to kill them on many occasions, and I don't mean the guys that equip helmets.

And I wont even begin to talk about the number of times I die within half of a second after I spawn...(and I swear I'm not making this up). I spawn and I die before I can take a step.

I also hate the fact that there is no stealth at all. You are either wearing a bright red suit, or a bright blue suit, so you cant find a nice sniping spot where you wont get noticed.

Overall, I'd say its fun for a little while, but it gets pretty difficult and down right frustrating very quickly.

I've been playing if for a couple of days now under the name Turtle Slap, and I think its okay.

I just can't seem to kill people as quick as the kill me though. I unload entire clips on people, but they just kinda shake it off and just turn around and pops me a couple of times and I die. WTF?

It seriously says that I was shot in the legs taking of 16-20% of my health, but I die immeadiatly. WTF happened to the other 80%?

I'm not an expert marksman, but I know at least ten of my bullets hit them in the chest, yet they still manage to survive and kill me. There is also quite a few cheaters out there as well. I even have to shoot people in the head twice to kill them on many occasions, and I don't mean the guys that equip helmets.

And I wont even begin to talk about the number of times I die within half of a second after I spawn...(and I swear I'm not making this up). I spawn and I die before I can take a step.

I also hate the fact that there is no stealth at all. You are either wearing a bright red suit, or a bright blue suit, so you cant find a nice sniping spot where you wont get noticed.

Overall, I'd say its fun for a little while, but it gets pretty difficult and down right frustrating very quickly.

Well put. I'd have to agree with just about everything you said.

I will add, however, that while cheating is prevalent, it's not always the reason that people survive seemingly deadly assualts.

I've found through spectating and playing a bit that sometimes the easiest way to survive attacks (especially from rapid fire weapons which spread and therfore become inaccurate) all you have to do is strafe a lot and jump a little and most of the bullets will miss. I guess that's part of the "Hollywood Action" aspect of the game.

Sometimes I just wish there were a rocket or grenade launcher so I could say "strafe this you son of a @#$%!" and then hopefully get a kill.

Oh, and be careful with nades. I've gotten kicked for teamkilling because of a badly placed grenade more times than I would like to admit. I get pissed sometimes because I'll throw one and it's like my partners are trying to actively find and stand on top of them.

I'm like "No wai- kicked"